Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2005, 10:18 PM

Default stud hi - can\'t tell if I played this right or not

7 Card Stud High ($1/$2), Ante $0.25, Bring-In $0.50 (hand converter)

3rd Street - (1.25 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___completes
Seat 3: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in___calls

4th Street - (5.25 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises

5th Street - (6.63 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 3: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls

6th Street - (9.63 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls

River - (12.63 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___
Seat 3: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___bets
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls

Total pot: (14.63 BB)
Old 10-07-2005, 10:20 PM

Default Re: stud hi - can\'t tell if I played this right or not

Love the 4th st raise, looks pretty standard to me? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 10-07-2005, 10:25 PM

wasn't sure about 6th and 7th.

33 is betting into probable aces with just a part of threes. Does that mean boat or idiot?
As for the river: aces up will likely call two bets, and bare aces would fold if i call anyway, so do I raise or call?
Old 10-07-2005, 10:32 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />
wasn't sure about 6th and 7th.

33 is betting into probable aces with just a part of threes. Does that mean boat or idiot?
As for the river: aces up will likely call two bets, and bare aces would fold if i call anyway, so do I raise or call?

[/ QUOTE ]

He may have the case 3 to have 3's full of 5's (as he can't have 5's full of 3's) but I think his betting suggests he has a straight and wanted to re-raise 5th.

Ofcourse what he doesn't know is that you've made your flush.

I think your play is fine personally. (yet I shall wait to see what my teacher Roland says) [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-07-2005, 10:47 PM

I can't see a sensible boat for villain to have here, given the lack of raising before 6th. I suppose he could have started with 345, but you do have one of his threes. I would put him on something like two pair and an OESD, which may have connected on the river. On the other hand, he could just be betting two small pair for value.

On the river, I think one pair of aces will fold, and aces up will only call one bet. I would fold aces up for two bets here, because I can't really see you finding a raise unless you can beat two pair.

I probably end up raising the river because raising is fun, and I can't work out what the correct move is. I don't think that 33 has a boat, and with a little luck, aces may come along.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:51 PM

If he made the straight on fifth, I think he would just raise there and then. You have to try and protect a small straight by ramming and jamming here. Also, a lot of the weaker 1/2 players will just think "straight - that means I raise".
Old 10-07-2005, 10:54 PM

i'd contemplate raising 3rd because of your position and certainly like the raise 4th. i would probably raise the river too and hope he doesn't have a boat. i think you will be the winner enough for the raise to be profitable.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:57 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />
If he made the straight on fifth, I think he would just raise there and then. You have to try and protect a small straight by ramming and jamming here. Also, a lot of the weaker 1/2 players will just think "straight - that means I raise".

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe he was expecting our hero to raise again, and A would call and be trapped after he reraised?
Old 10-07-2005, 10:59 PM

Would raising third be too aggressive? I have no overcards on the A and there's a dead diamond. If the A 3bets, I could end up being heads up. What do you think is the minimum situation I'd need to raise here?
Old 10-08-2005, 01:53 AM

On 4th street, it looks like none of the bad guys hit anything significant. Your diamond draw is +EV against 3 ops with only 2 diamonds out. If seat 2 remains on lead on 5th, you may get a free card if you miss. Good raise for sure. On the river, I like the call better than the raise., because: 1.Seat 3 is probably not full, with dead cards, but he could be. 2.If seat 3 has only 2 small pr, he may not call the raise, anyway. 3.The raise may keep you from getting a call from seat 2 if he has A's up, 4.If seat 2 has a heart flush, you will be sorry you raised.