Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2005, 12:04 PM

Default A Lovely Spot With Aces

75-150 at the Taj. Not having a good night at all. Anyway, this hand comes up.

A very loose player completes from early position with a king up. Folded to me and I make it 150 with (A,5) A. He calls. Suits no es importantante.

4th Street

Hero(A,5) A 7

Villian (x,x) K 8

I bet and villian calls.

5th Street

Hero(A,5) A 7

Villian (x,x) K 8

Hero bets, villian calls.

6th Street

Hero(A,5) A 7 9 10

Villian (x,x) K 8 Q J

Bet, call.

Question Time: What's our plan for the river if we don't improve?

What about if we make aces up?

7th street

Hero(A,5) A 7 9 10 (10)

Villian (x,x) K 8 Q J (x)

I bet and am raised. This player is loose as hell but I don't see him making this raise as a bluff (or with kings up really). Comments?

Also, I'm really interested in everyone's plans for various contingencies going into the river. Anyone do anything but just keep firing here?

Jeff
Old 12-04-2005, 03:25 PM

Default Re: A Lovely Spot With Aces

My fav spot is on fifth street when neither of you get any new cards...lol [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

This is a [censored] spot to me, but seems like you're beat. The crappy part about this hand though, is that he almost certainly has to have trip Ks or a hidden full house because you have all of his straight cards and that is probably what makes this hand tough to lay down. I think that this is a lay down though unless you have some read on him that he likes to bluff but it seems as if you don't. Tough hand.
Old 12-04-2005, 04:05 PM

I think you have to go with your read on 7th. If you don't think he is capable of raising Kings up fold.

I think you definately have to bet 7th if you don't improve against a player that is too loose but folding to a raise is clearly a lot easier in that situation.
Old 12-04-2005, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What's our plan for the river if we don't improve?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've always been an avid believer of betting the river unimproved in spots like these nearly every time. Of course the one exception is against a tricky player that I feel is capable of raising as a bluff or with a lesser hand. Obviously you want to bet for value slightly less in spots like these if you're uncertain how to handle a raise.

Sucks that it looks like your night got even worse when he raised you on the river. However, I'd have to pay off here having 4 of his "stopper" strait cards. Tough situaton, Jeff.

[ QUOTE ]
This player is loose as hell but I don't see him making this raise as a bluff (or with kings up really). Comments?

[/ QUOTE ]

How much playing experience do you have with him? Is this a regular who you usually encounter on your weekend forays to AC? You were there, and you're probably a better player than anyone whos going to respond to this thread, but thats a iffy fold unless you know that guy fairly well.

Mike Emery
Old 12-04-2005, 06:09 PM

Looks like you both caught "blanks" on 5th. Zing!

Im not good enough to fold here, which is why I dont play 75-150 stud.
Old 12-04-2005, 06:17 PM

He knows that you know that you block a lot of his straight outs and he doesn't care. It's gotta be a value raise. That being said I pay it off.

Or I 3-bet fold to a cap as I rack up my chips and go shoot dice.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:54 PM

From this loose guy's perspective,you didn't necessarily start with a pair of A's on 3rd street.You could have a hole pair,3flush,etc.So he may make a loose raise on the river knowing that you can't re-raise into his possible straight.I personally think there's enough doubt about it that you have to call.
Unimproved,I would bet, too.He will suspect that you may have started with the hands mentioned above& most likely call with a pair of K's.But if he raised against the 1 pair,I would fold.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He knows that you know that you block a lot of his straight outs and he doesn't care. It's gotta be a value raise. That being said I pay it off.

[/ QUOTE ]

He knows that Jeff really has aces and tens?
Old 12-05-2005, 04:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He knows that Jeff really has aces and tens?

[/ QUOTE ]

What does that have to do with him seeing his board? I'm either missing your point or you missed mine. I was merely suggesting that the fact that jeff has a number of what would appear to be the villain's straight outs showing makes a bluff even less likely.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:57 AM

Default RESULTS

I felt it was highly unlikely I would be raised by kings up on the river. That said, I didn't like the idea of making this laydown bc it was pretty clear by my play I had aces and I didn't want people to think I was capable of laying something like aces up down here since I thought about it for a second. Also, his board DOES protect him from being reraised since he could have a straight so maybe there is an outside chance he'd raise the river with Kings up (or maybe - very outside chance - just kings) if he thinks he can get me to fold UI aces. So it was close. I put the $150 in paid him off for the privilege of looking at his rivered trip kings. Nice hand.

Jeff