Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2005, 07:46 PM

Default I think I played this correct - what say usted?

7 Card Stud High ($2/$4), Ante $0.25, Bring-In $1 (hand converter)

3rd Street - (0.88 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 3: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___completes
Seat 8: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls

4th Street - (4.38 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 8: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls

5th Street - (3.69 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 8: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls

6th Street - (5.69 BB)

Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 8: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls

River - (7.69 BB)

Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Seat 8: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___raises

Total pot: (11.69 BB)

Results:
Main Pot: $44.75 | Rake: $2

<font color="white"> Hero: [ Kd Tc Th Kh 4h 8s Ah ] [ two pairs, kings and tens -- Ah,Kd,Kh,Tc,Th ]

Seat 8: [ Td Jh Jd 9c 7d 6c 8h ] [ a straight, seven to jack -- Jh,Td,9c,8h,7d ]</font>
Old 09-22-2005, 07:54 PM

Default Re: I think I played this correct - what say usted?

You played it just fine. I don't know if the cards as shown indicate that he did catch the case 8 on the river... but in any event, it's fine to keep on betting into him knowing that he has to have the case 8 in order to make any reasonable straight with the cards he has showing.

If he did catch his 3-outer... that sucks. But you played it fine.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:02 PM

That hand played itself up till the river.

I suspect you're wondering whether to call 7th? Generally, call everything on the end unless you're sure you're toast.

I'm assuming opponent is an average player who hasn't shown himself to be retarded, overaggressive, or bluff raise. With this assumption, I muck to the raise in this particular situation. Not many people will raise with two small pair in this situation, which means he's raising with a hand that can beat Ks up. This, plus the fact he's showing possible flush AND possible str8, I think folding is the right choice.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:03 PM

Si, es bueno. A vecez, el rio es un cabron.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Si, es bueno. A vecez, el rio es un cabron.

[/ QUOTE ]

Verdadero mi amigo, verdadero.

Cheers for the replies guys, sorry this was obviously a bad beat post now I look at it.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That hand played itself up till the river.

I suspect you're wondering whether to call 7th? Generally, call everything on the end unless you're sure you're toast.

I'm assuming opponent is an average player who hasn't shown himself to be retarded, overaggressive, or bluff raise. With this assumption, I muck to the raise in this particular situation. Not many people will raise with two small pair in this situation, which means he's raising with a hand that can beat Ks up. This, plus the fact he's showing possible flush AND possible str8, I think folding is the right choice.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you have to pay it off. There are players who would raise with J's up, figuring you for 10's up instead of K's up. I don't think I ever fold to a river raise in a spot like this (and I don't know if I ever do at all)... I think an opponent is going to be raising with crap or with a weaker hand like J's up in this spot more often than 1 in 12 times. They're definitely going to do it more often than 1 in 12 times if they see you're willing to fold to the raise.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:43 PM

I think you have to pay it off. There are players who would raise with J's up, figuring you for 10's up instead of K's up. ... I think an opponent is going to be raising with crap or with a weaker hand like J's up in this spot more often than 1 in 12 times. They're definitely going to do it more often than 1 in 12 times if they see you're willing to fold to the raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough - that's just not my experience. Next time you get raised on the river with two pair like this, please post it. I'd be very interested to see how many times it happens. My experience is MUCH fewer than 1 in 12. Maybe 1 in 25? And in those cases, I've already pegged the player as very aggressive and call.

Anyway, I just don't see how this opponent would have the aggression to raise with Js up on the river but not raise raise with Js on 3rd or 5th.

But like I said, please post a situation where what you're describing happens. I suspect it'll be a long time before you do. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-22-2005, 08:55 PM

However... if Hero posted the same HH with a fold on the river instead, he'll no doubt be flamed to no end.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
However... if Hero posted the same HH with a fold on the river instead, he'll no doubt be flamed to no end.

[/ QUOTE ]

Flamed? Not this forum - not unless its some clown who claims to "own" his opponents with lame bluff raises.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fair enough - that's just not my experience. Next time you get raised on the river with two pair like this, please post it. I'd be very interested to see how many times it happens. My experience is MUCH fewer than 1 in 12. Maybe 1 in 25? And in those cases, I've already pegged the player as very aggressive and call.

Anyway, I just don't see how this opponent would have the aggression to raise with Js up on the river but not raise raise with Js on 3rd or 5th.

But like I said, please post a situation where what you're describing happens. I suspect it'll be a long time before you do. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, that's also fair. I'll keep an eye out for the next time it happens and I win. Even if I'm wrong about the 1 in 12 thing... the most important consideration is that folding these off just encourages the opponent to bluff raise.

I'll modify what I said a little bit... if the guy is the most weak/passive/rockish player ever, I'd seriously consider laying it down. But my general rule is to pay these raises off, because I never want to encourage anyone to try to push me off of my hand.