Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2005, 02:25 PM

Default KK overpair

$5/$10 NL

I open raise to $45 with KK. Only the SB calls. Hes very tight and solid. He will not call raise w/o a pair. We both have about $1000

The pot is $100 and the flop comes T64 rainbow. He leads out for $80. Ok, we all know that good players will lead with a set. He has a pair I can guarantee you that. But does he have a set or JJ ro QQ?

One of us has 2 outs. DO you raise? Call him down?
Old 06-08-2005, 02:40 PM

Default Re: KK overpair

Even though this possibly qualifies as a way ahead/way behind scenario, i still like a raise on this flop, the tough part is, he is probably not gonna play a set too fast on this flop, so he gonna call your raise with a set, probably even call it with QQ or JJ.
If called, you are in a tough spot and i would call down, unless I hit a set or an Ace flops, in which case i stack.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:40 PM

Default Re: KK overpair

many good players will play a set / JJ-QQ on the flop the same way. if good players dont do it, then at least I probably would. right now, you have no way of knowing precisely what you are against.

if you call, will he continue betting JJ or QQ strongly if a small card falls off? if so, then thats bad news for you.

if you raise, do you have any clue or at least a strong guess on how he plays a set/overpair? does he call a reraise with both hands? does he fold the overpair and call the set? what do you think he is going to do?

here is what i would do in a few hypothetical situation. im not going to type out all the situations that might happen because there are a lot. these situations are always player dependent and require lots of judgement.

1- if you think he'll slow way down on the turn with JJ or QQ and make a turn and river blocking bet and fold to a flop reraise, then call him

2- if you think he will pot the board on the next card as long as something 'funny' doesnt fall off with JJ-QQ or a set, consider raising on the flop for information.

3- if he'll only continue betting with a set, then call.

4- if you think he'll call a flop reraise and then check-call reasonable bets to the end with JJ-QQ but play back with a set, definetly reraise