Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2005, 08:58 AM

Default A question about Odds.....please help

scenario is you have AX suited. you flop four to a flush.

Now the total odds of making the flush over the 2 remaining cards are 1.86-1 (i think). However odds of making it on the next card are 4.33-1 (once again, this is from memory, might be slightly wrong).

My question is if someone sticks in a raise, which odds do you pay attention to ? the 1.86-1 on the turn, then 4.33-1 on the river? or just the 4.33-1 both on the turn and river?

to many this may sound like a dumb question, but so far I have been taking the odds of 4.33-1 both on the turn and river.

help.....
Old 06-23-2005, 09:54 AM

Default Re: A question about Odds.....please help

I think it depends on a few things

Who your up against, how many chips you and he have and also what he's likely holding.

If all the money goes in on the flop - your odds of hitting the flush are 2/1. Taking it one card at a time, ie having more money to bet after the call - 4/1.

In practice this mean that if i have strong flush draw - ie with either 2 overcards, a pair or an inside/open ended str8 as well - and i feel there is some chance i can get him to fold now i'd be happier putting it all in on the flop and asking him a serious question - you are no worse than even money with these hands against top pair or slight overpair.

With the bare nut flush draw - i would call sometimes without getting 4/1 with position against an opponent i felt i could get more money out of if i hit. No good calling in this situation against timid tim who check/folds when the third heart comes!!! Make sure too you have deep stacks, so you win a lot and have plenty to continue with when you have to fold the turn!!!

Please note that this is my usual cash game play - in tournaments i'd be far happier putting the guy all in than calling off my chips on a draw. Personnally i don't like showdowns in a tournament setting, and prefer making strong moves against players i feel can/will fold decent pairs.

hope this helps...
Old 06-23-2005, 10:01 AM

Default Re: A question about Odds.....please help

[ QUOTE ]
scenario is you have AX suited. you flop four to a flush.

Now the total odds of making the flush over the 2 remaining cards are 1.86-1 (i think). However odds of making it on the next card are 4.33-1 (once again, this is from memory, might be slightly wrong).

My question is if someone sticks in a raise, which odds do you pay attention to ? the 1.86-1 on the turn, then 4.33-1 on the river? or just the 4.33-1 both on the turn and river?

to many this may sound like a dumb question, but so far I have been taking the odds of 4.33-1 both on the turn and river.

help.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Pot odds should be calculated on a street by street basis. In order to call the flop the pot needs to be laying you 4.5:1. Whenever you make a new decision of whether or not to put more chips into the pot, you need to recalculate your pot odds. Flop to River odds are more applicable in NL holdem in deciding whether or not you can call an all-in based on the odds of catching your draw by the river.

Pep.