Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2005, 12:39 AM

Default folding

Hello everyone,

I need some help, bad. Here's the thing, I can pickup on betting patterns and seem to know what someone is holding. Here’s my problem, I can’t seem to let my hand go when I know exactly what someone has. This is costing me hundreds every month. Is there some physiological reason as to why I am not folding? I know this is very stupid as the answer maybe simple, fold if I know, but for some reason I cant.
I play 4/8 and 8/16 holdem. When the thought cross my mind I just see the pattern instantly in my head and seem to act as soon as it has passed almost as though it were instantaneously. It all happens extremely quick. Hope this makes sense.

Also, if anyone is having the same problems I would sure like to hear about it.

Thanks.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:48 AM

Default Re: folding

I think Dr. Al will probably be the best for this kind of question, but here's my two cents:

1)Slow down. You say it "all happens so fast." Whenever the decision gets to you, count to five before you act, no matter if you already know what you're going to do. Ferguson does this constantly.

2)Trust yourself more. If you know you can make the right reads, but you are not acting on those reads, then you don't trust yourself enough. So, either stop reading altogether, or trust your reading ability...the halfway point is what is killing you.
Old 07-06-2005, 06:51 AM

it sounds like you need to review your motivation for playing poker. why do you play? why do you feel good when you win?

it sounds to me (no offense intended) that you FEEL like you deserve to win. and even when you KNOW that your opponent has you beat you still call because you FEEL that your opponent deserves to lose.

almost everyone believes that they play so that they can win money. but most people actually play because they enjoy the sensation of "getting away with something" (ie bluffing and making someone fold) and/or they believe that they deserve success and when they win they feel that the winning is a verification of their "superiority".

of course, winning players don't play for these reasons. they play because they enjoy the real game, ie maximizing their chips with no regard to their emotions.

so which are you?
Old 07-06-2005, 09:38 AM

Thanks for the responses they definitely help and point me in the right direction.

Thanks again.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:18 AM

Stop whining and just fold. You don't need help. Just fold. It's not hard at all. I recently misclick folded quad tens. Fold something like that and folding top pair top kicker is cake. When you fold appropriately you are going to lose a pot here and there. Accept that. The upside is if your opponents see you folding you will catch them bluffing you that much more when you decide to look them up.

Get a post-it, write FOLD in big bold letters and stick it to your monitor as a reminder.

Ha hah I see you may be playing live so if you are I would skip the post-it. Your more observant opponents might notice it.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:55 AM

Bluffoon-

I say stick with the post-it, I'd love to be sitting across from it in a live game.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:39 PM

The biggest thing I have identified in my resistance to folding is that it hurts my ego. I waited forever for this hand and I am a better player than the opponent. They can't have a better hand. If they are bluffing they are gonna pay. I will not surrender. I will not admit defeat.

Opps, the opponent flopped a set. And I knew it.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:40 PM

Hehe, you fall on the nerd side of the handing reading scale in the Psychology of Poker. You have great judgement, but no confidence when it comes to trusting your judgement. On the other hand, maybe these folds you fail to make aren't so bad, because they're in large pots, or you need to see what they have for your peace of mind.