Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2004, 07:55 PM

Default I surprise myself with a limp-reraise

So every once in a while when I think the game conditions are appropriate, I try to limp-reraise (usually with AA, KK, AKs, or AQs). Perhaps because I am picking my opportunities poorly, none of them has ever really worked out well. This hand is notable because (1) I like how it worked out, (2) my hand was unusual, and (3) when I first called, I was not planning to reraise.

So my question is: Who agrees with the original limp, and who agrees with the re-raise? I am new to the table and have no reads on anyone.

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button calls, SB completes, <font color="CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>.
Old 08-01-2004, 08:03 PM

Default Re: Finally! A successful limp-reraise?

Generally, I think a limp-reraise with this hand is a typically fishy Party move.

However, there's some merit here because you have a good chance of buying the button and maybe getting the SB out as well. But that's about it.

I would much rather raise with this preflop and get rid of players that way as opposed to taking this line.
Old 08-01-2004, 08:12 PM

Thanks, that was what I was looking to hear. I definitely would have raised if I was first in, but being in early position and after 1 caller, I couldn't make up my mind.

Obviously, in this case the second chance to buy the button against a small field helped me come to a decision.
Old 08-01-2004, 10:33 PM

The problem is that 88 isn't that great 3-handed. I'd probably rather have it for 2 bets pf 5-handed than 3 bets 3-handed because there's a lot of a flops that you're not gonna like and 5-handed you'd be going for set value. However, 3-betting it does it make a little easier to play post-flop if you don't spike the set.
Old 08-01-2004, 10:54 PM

Default Re: I surprise myself with a limp-reraise

Sorry, but I think this limprr is pretty terrible. Narrowing the field here isn't good because it is unlikely your unimproved 88 will be good. A raise from the blinds usually means a big pocket pair, and if it isn't it will certainly be two overcards. The caller in between likely also has two overcards. Theres no reason you want more of your own money in this pot than necessary and no reason you want fewer opponents in to pay off your draw to a set.
Old 08-02-2004, 07:55 PM

I would like your limp reraise if you can fulfill these three conditions:
1) There are no callers between BB and you. (UTG+1!!)
2) You can get all the other limpers to fold 2 cold hoping to get it heads up.
3) You know BB is capable of raising from his position on many hands not involving big pairs.

That said, the presence of UTG+1 makes this a clear call in my view. You want to play this to get a set and have as many players in as possible when you hit it. In my view, way too many players are willing to call 2 more cold if they limped initially to make this move right.

Garland
Old 08-02-2004, 11:15 PM

Thanks. If you assume that most players will call two more bets once they're in for one, it sounds like you would also be advocating a flat call the first time around, too. Am I correct here?
Old 08-03-2004, 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks. If you assume that most players will call two more bets once they're in for one, it sounds like you would also be advocating a flat call the first time around, too. Am I correct here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Players will incorrectly call 2 more with whatever cards they had because they fail to reevaluate the situation and quite frankly want to play. Your hand is perfectly suited for playing multi-way, set value. The way you played it, you may eliminate opponents, which you don't want, you also open yourself up to a reraise from big blind and will reduce the field having to play catch up to a bigger pair.

Garland