Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2005, 04:49 PM

Default 40K stat post

After my first month of shorthanded, I have played over 40000 hands of 1/2 and 2/4. And I am down. Any suggestions or analysis would be very appreciated . . .

Old 11-01-2005, 04:58 PM

Default Re: 40K stat post

steal more and defend your blinds more.

you may need to cool it a bit on the flop and turn. in short handed you can often allow your opponents to fold marginal hands when you hammer them like you are. river agression is low but that is slower to converge and could be a result of the flop/turn hyperagression -- if your opponent makes it through the gauntlet, their hand is relatively strong. this is all speculation without seeing actual hands.

post your position stats for VPIP/PFR breakdown, curious about those.

and the #1 reason you are losing:

(seriously)
Old 11-01-2005, 05:00 PM

You should be stealing blnds much more. Closer to 35%. Also, how do you play 40k hands in your first month of shorthanded, are you playing alot of tables? If you're just learning how to play short you might want to play 1 or 2 tables for a while.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You should be stealing blnds much more. Closer to 35%. Also, how do you play 40k hands in your first month of shorthanded, are you playing alot of tables? If you're just learning how to play short you might want to play 1 or 2 tables for a while.

[/ QUOTE ]
I had these exact same thoughts while looking over your stats. I also wanted to add that you should raise more preflop, though from your stats I can't see where you should add.

You should definitely not start multi-tabling until you're a solid winner. Otherwise, you're just compounding your loss problem. Playing only one table and focusing on it will really help your game.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:07 PM

I'm not claiming this is a complete analysis, but the stat that jumps out at me is the extremely small number of times you c/r the flop after a PF raise -- 0.30%, or only 18 times out of 6000. By not having this play in your arsenal and using it, it would seem that your post flop play would be very predictable. Not that you should use it all the time, but I think you could use it more effectively than 18 times in 6000. If you don't c/r more often, then a check always means "that flop sure missed me." If you don't check raise on other streets, same thing; you are giving up too much info.

I play mid limits and am admittedly less familiar with 1/2 and 2/4, where I suspect there is more calling and less folding, but if I were playing against you I would use this to my advantage. Stated another way: you simply have to confront opponents with a double bet sometimes, even if you were the PF raiser, and especially if you raised from the blinds. You also need to check the flop sometimes, even after a PF raise. Varying your play makes it harder for your opponents to read you.

Anyway, like I said, this is not meant to be a complete analysis but just the first thing that stands out to me.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:12 PM

-35% is a little high for the SB VPiP for me even in the 1:2 structure
-Your blind defense is horrid. You need to defend your BB around 12% more. HU is particularly sucky. That should be 50-55 not 70
-Your not stealing enough or raising enough in general AtSB should be <u>at least</u> 30%. PFR should be in the 16-18% range
-You're checking to much after a PFR
-Both flop and turn AF are high by about .75
-CR more about twice as much as you do now
Old 11-01-2005, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not claiming this is a complete analysis, but the stat that jumps out at me is the extremely small number of times you c/r the flop after a PF raise -- 0.30%, or only 18 times out of 6000. By not having this play in your arsenal and using it, it would seem that your post flop play would be very predictable. Not that you should use it all the time, but I think you could use it more effectively than 18 times in 6000. If you don't c/r more often, then a check always means "that flop sure missed me." If you don't check raise on other streets, same thing; you are giving up too much info.

I play mid limits and am admittedly less familiar with 1/2 and 2/4, where I suspect there is more calling and less folding, but if I were playing against you I would use this to my advantage. Stated another way: you simply have to confront opponents with a double bet sometimes, even if you were the PF raiser, and especially if you raised from the blinds. You also need to check the flop sometimes, even after a PF raise. Varying your play makes it harder for your opponents to read you.

Anyway, like I said, this is not meant to be a complete analysis but just the first thing that stands out to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think check-raising the flop after he raised preflop should be the last thing on his mind. In fact, I don't think this play should be used very often if at all.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think check-raising the flop after he raised preflop should be the last thing on his mind. In fact, I don't think this play should be used very often if at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, CR after he PFR seems like a terrible idea almost always. I guess if you're trying to mix up your game against a good player, but that isn't something people should be working on at 1/2 and 2/4
Old 11-01-2005, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, CR after he PFR seems like a terrible idea almost always. I guess if you're trying to mix up your game against a good player, but that isn't something people should be working on at 1/2 and 2/4

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, point taken. I still think this is a nice thing to have in your bag, and I bet I could find more times where it would be profitable in the course of 6000 hands where I raised PF, but you're right, it's not where he should be putting his energy and it probably doesn't have much +EV or metagame value at low limits.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, CR after he PFR seems like a terrible idea almost always.

[/ QUOTE ]

a really big exception is when you get reraised preflop, pretty sure PT would still report it this way.