Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2005, 07:11 PM

Default K high calldown

Villain is 43/26 with AF of 1.9 for flop and turn, .9 for river after 500 hands. 52 WTSD. I chose to play flop passively b/c he doesn't fold (pumping for value might be good here but I chose to wait for some value when I hit and checkraise pair or flush on turn). Criticism of that is welcome. So he checks turn and bets river. Does Ahigh ever do that? I didn't think so. Not someone this aggro at least. Could be better K high but there's more worse hands that would bet. Anyone like or am I dumb??

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (3.25 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks.

River: (3.25 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 5.25 BB
Old 09-24-2005, 07:25 PM

Default Re: K high calldown

You're right, he did take a weird line. I wouldn't think a guy like this would be likely to check behind on the turn with hands that you can beat though. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't expect this guy to hardly ever check behind on the turn regardless of his hand. His AF's suggest that he pounds away and then frequently checks the river. I am just about confused enough to call.

Do you think he would have checked the turn with something you beat?

Thanks,
Cartman
Old 09-24-2005, 07:26 PM

well, yea thats what I was thinking when I made the call. I just really didn't think a pair would take this line. Monsters might. Ace high doesn't really make sense to bet river. SO maybe something with outs like a streaight draw or weak overs?
Old 09-24-2005, 07:29 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

I check-raise the flop. the river check-call is good
Old 09-24-2005, 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Do you think he would have checked the turn with something you beat?

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess this was a dumb question since you called the river bet. What I meant to say was would you have expected him to check behind on the turn with something worse than K9? In other words, if you were watching him play the hand on TV and you saw his hole cards prior to the turn action, would you have expected him to bet or check with hands worse than K9?

Thanks,
Cartman
Old 09-24-2005, 07:31 PM

So you're basically just checkraising from a value standpoint? With position I def would raise it usually. I've been starting to play draws real passive in the 10/20 and might be going a little too passive. Any advice?
Old 09-24-2005, 07:38 PM

Against a guy who will never fold I think raising with this draw is a mistake unless you are planning to check a non-Ace turn (I would fire again if hit in an effort to get him to fold K, Q, or J high. Is this a mistake?) If raising the flop for value necessitates you making a -EV turn bet it seems like a net loss to me. Because even if you are technically in front at the time of the turn bet your bet may be -EV if you have to check fold the river, right? I guess you have some showdown value here and might get checked behind on the river when you are in front, but with a smaller flush draw it seems like passively is the only way to play it.

Am I wrong?

Thanks,
Cartman
Old 09-24-2005, 07:38 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

well you can't really check-call 3 times with your hand so why not checkraise and try to take it down? I agree with playing draws passively but here I think you have to take some sort of shot. your hand is too strong to just check-call, check-call, check-fold
Old 09-24-2005, 07:39 PM

I didn't see his WtSD was so high, but there is value in making him fold a worse hand. if you don't, he'll often make you fold the best hand.