Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2005, 02:07 PM

Default Highest Attainable ROI, and Win%

I started sports betting about 3 weeks ago, and I've had reasonable success. I've dedicated a lot of time, and over my first 57 games I've posted a 72.41% win% while going 41-16-0.

My ROI over this period is 40.30%. Just to make sure my calculations are right, I bet a total of $2652.34, and I made a net profit (losses+fees included) of $1033.09.

Is this Win% sustainable? I've heard 50%-55% win % is good, and 55%-60% win% means you aren't betting on the underdog enough. How about the ROI?

Also, what is a good long-term average line? How do you figure out what your avg line is in the long term? I listed all of my lines in an excel spreedsheet. If a line is -120 i enter it as -120, and if it's +120, i enter it as 120. To find the average I found the total sum, and then divided it by the total number of entries. The number came out to be -3.306, which translates to an average line of -103.306 right? Is this an ok average?

After a 2% fee on wins, with an average line of -103.306 I would have to win 52.71% of the time to break even. This seems pretty easy. I'm interested in hearing comments about this.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:15 PM

Default Re: Highest Attainable ROI, and Win%

Winning percentages are totally meaningless in moneyline sports. Winning % is only important with typical spread betting (ie football, basketball etc.). In a sport like baseball with a moneyline you can have a positive winning percentage and still lose money (and visa versa) so it really is meaningless.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Winning percentages are totally meaningless in moneyline sports. Winning % is only important with typical spread betting (ie football, basketball etc.). In a sport like baseball with a moneyline you can have a positive winning percentage and still lose money (and visa versa) so it really is meaningless.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point, I copied and pasted this post from another forum that I posted at, and I forgot that I added in a later post that I care much more about the ROI. WIN% is like driving in golf, it's only for show. Same thing as ITM % finishes in Poker tourneyes. ITM%, and driving in golf don't mean anything. The real moneymakers are ROI, and putting in golf. etc.

What do you think about the ROI though, and the average line thing? What is your average line? I know you are the big statistic man. Is that an important statistic?
Old 09-08-2005, 02:40 PM

72% is "reasonable" success, you say?

You are in for a long season if you don't lower your standards, but nice run. 72% on sides isn't close to sustainable, pretty sure 60% is upper long term boundary, if not slightly above or below, but this isn't my area of expertise.
Old 09-08-2005, 03:18 PM

Especially when you fade the Yanks.