Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2004, 11:57 AM

Default The Importance of Being Prescient

Hi all -

New to the forum, and have just discovered the pattern mapping thread in "Favorite 2+2 Posts." I am very interested in learning what accomplished 2+2'ers would give as (A) upper limit of BB/100 w/o pattern maps and (B) upper limit w/ pattern maps at say 10/20.

Though certainly I may be well off, at first blush it now seems to me that online poker is primarily a contest of pattern maps! Comments?

Edited to add:

Ethically, why would people here condemn bots while condoning pattern maps? Both seem to me to simply be cases of applying external information (AI expertise+stats engine vs. mapped turn+river) that is fundamentally unavailable to opponents. I'm getting my MS in CS right now, and if I end up by hook or crook getting/creating a potent pattern map, you better believe a bot is the next thing on the TODO list.

Michael
Old 10-04-2004, 12:14 PM

Default Re: The Importance of Being Prescient

hahahahahahahahaahahahahhahahahahahahaha
Old 10-04-2004, 12:25 PM

So *holds breath*, pattern maps ARENT REAL?

This would make me very happy.

I already know I'm a little retarded when it comes to detecting the sarcasm and irony of great internet minds like El Diablo, so more posts like stoxtrader's are very welcome.
Old 10-04-2004, 12:41 PM

Sorry to be misleading, Sub. In all honesty, there are no such thing as pattern maps, and the whole thing is a running joke. The whole beauty of the joke is that it is so hard to tell who is in on it and who is not. I thought you were sorta in on it, hence my earlier reply.

To be honest, once I found out you were truly unaware of the current status of pattern maps, I sorta wanted to string you along...then I remembered how strung along it got the first time around.

Happy pokering,

Doug
Old 10-04-2004, 01:00 PM

gonores-

Ok, just wanted to hear someone I (by online standards) trust come out and say it.

Thanks a bunch.

(I don't know why I'm so retarded. However, I do know it's not my fault. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img])
Old 10-04-2004, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
gonores-

Ok, just wanted to hear someone I (by online standards) trust come out and say it.

Thanks a bunch.

(I don't know why I'm so retarded. However, I do know it's not my fault. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img])

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't let this fish fool you. Pattern maps are real. Very, very real. Not afraid?

You WILL BE...

Sorry, couldn't resist. Anyway, yeah. It's just a joke that got way out of control. I still think at least 10-15% of posters here think they're real, because, well, people will believe anything they hear for much longer than common sense dictates (at least you asked to find out for sure!).
Old 10-04-2004, 04:29 PM

But if they were real, wouldn't those that have them try to pretend they were just some silly joke?
Old 10-04-2004, 05:02 PM

But if they were real, wouldn't those that have them try to pretend they were just some silly joke?

Clearly. Though you then have to make hundreds of strategy posts on internet poker forums in order to maintain the illusion.
Old 10-04-2004, 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Clearly. Though you then have to make hundreds of strategy posts on internet poker forums in order to maintain the illusion.

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO!!!! Clever ruse you have going there.

I now have caramel macchiato invading my nasal passages thanks to you.
Old 10-04-2004, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I played against you the other day.

Your name is definitely getting the 2+2 HAZARDOUS BOMB icon in Poker Tracker.

Err, not that I need Poker Tracker, what with my handy pattern map allowing me to win every hand.