Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2005, 08:37 AM

Default Line check

Two hands I played earlier today and I want to know if this is pretty much standard...anyway, in the first hand opponent is unknown.

Hand 1:

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 4 handed) converter

SB ($93.50)
BB ($201.30)
UTG ($243.12)
Hero ($94)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
UTG calls $1, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $5</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls $4.

Flop: ($11.50) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $8</font>, UTG calls $8.

Turn: ($27.50) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks.

River: ($27.50) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $50</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $77.50

Opponent in this hand has seems to be very loose, but I've played to few hands to be sure and haven't really seen any notable showdowns.

Hand 2:

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 3 handed) converter

Hero ($121)
BB ($108.95)
Button ($92.85)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $0.50.
Button calls $1, <font color="#CC3333">Hero (poster) raises to $4.5</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $4.

Flop: ($11) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $10</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $20</font>, Hero calls $10.

Turn: ($51) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $30</font>, Button calls $67.85 (All-In), Hero folds.

Final Pot: $148.85

Dumle
Old 10-23-2005, 09:43 AM

Default Re: Line check

In the first hand I dont know why you check turn when you actually had TPTK on turn. Your hand might be good, might not, but either way you have to assume after you check turn the guy thinks you are weak and is gonna throw a big bet out no matter what he has. I am not saying call this river bet. I am saying bet turn and see what he does. If he re-raises I fold. If he calls then checks river even though I now assume you are ahead I check behind just to avoid the check raise. If he actually has a 7 you probably will find out on the turn if you bet it, that is much better than playing river guessing games.
Old 10-23-2005, 09:50 AM

2nd hand I c/f the turn. draw just got there, overcard hit, you may have had the worst hand on the flop anyways.

1st hand bet the turn, I think $20 is a good amount, if he raises fold you're almost certainly beaten. If he calls check behind on the river. Given how you played it I think you should call the river. I realize it's 2x the size of the pot. But he can't expect a call here cuz there's no way he thinks you have an ace. I do think it's close though. Originally I typed out why you should fold but changed my mind because of the reasons.
Old 10-23-2005, 02:13 PM

It was an effort to control pot size. I think it serves other purposes as well. If I bet the turn, there are really no hands that I beat that call me, a middle pair that might call a flop bet in the hopes that I have AK, will fold when I bet this turn. Another benefit is that they may pay off a bet on the river instad, since I showed weakness on the turn. They might even bet it themselves. There are neither that many draws out (except the obvious flush draw) and my check really doesn't hurt me that much.

Dumle
Old 10-23-2005, 02:15 PM

Do you really think he would overbet this much as a bluff? Even if he does it sometimes, do you think he does it often enough for it to be profitable to call. I don't, but I am open for discussion.

Dumle
Old 10-23-2005, 03:22 PM

Default Bump

I would like to hear some more opinions on these.

Dumle
Old 10-23-2005, 03:24 PM

Default Re: Bump

I think it's much easier to comment posts with 1 hand, and think more players think the same. Better to do 2 posts if you want advices for two hands.
Old 10-23-2005, 03:28 PM

Default Re: Bump

I agree. There are so many new posts here everyday, though, and this was an effort not to clog the board with two perhaps uninteresting hands.

Dumle