Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2005, 03:06 AM

Default interesting payoff heads up vs Dags 100/200

So I'm playing John D'Agostino heads up on full tilt and this is the biggest hand we play:

Hero is dealt: K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in the BB

Dags raises
Hero calls
POT $399.50
flop: T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Hero checks
Dags bets
Hero raises
Dags calls
POT: $799.50
Turn: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Hero bets
Dags calls
POT: $1199.50
River: K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Hero bets
Dags raises
Hero raises
Dags raises
Hero wins pot of $2799.50
Dags shows: K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

This is the only time in our whole game that the pot gets capped on any street. I don't see how he caps the river here. Thoughts?
Old 03-03-2005, 03:08 AM

Default Re: interesting payoff heads up vs Dags 100/200

Want a cookie?

NT
Old 03-03-2005, 03:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So I'm playing John D'Agostino heads up on full tilt and this is the biggest hand we play:

Hero is dealt: K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in the BB

Dags raises
Hero calls
POT $399.50
flop: T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Hero checks
Dags bets
Hero raises
Dags calls
POT: $799.50
Turn: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Hero bets
Dags calls
POT: $1199.50
River: K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Hero bets
Dags raises
Hero raises
Dags raises
Hero wins pot of $2799.50
Dags shows: K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

This is the only time in our whole game that the pot gets capped on any street. I don't see how he caps the river here. Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless I had put you on a set after your flop checkraise and turn lead, I would cap the river too. There were two possible draws in the hand, the flush and the outside straight (89). Both missed. If you were betting two pair the whole way, he caught a better two pair on the river, and if you were just betting a pair, its hard to read you for having a king with it since you were betting aggressively before the king showed up. In his position, I too would have thought that I had the best hand on the river, unless I really believed you had a set. I think the better question here is why he called your flop checkraise and turn lead with only a pair of threes, not why he capped the river.
Old 03-03-2005, 03:36 AM

i guess i see your points - my mind is clouded i guess
Old 03-03-2005, 08:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the better question here is why he called your flop checkraise and turn lead with only a pair of threes, not why he capped the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't you answer your own question?

[ QUOTE ]
There were two possible draws in the hand, the flush and the outside straight

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-03-2005, 08:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the better question here is why he called your flop checkraise and turn lead with only a pair of threes

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
heads up

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-03-2005, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I think the better question here is why he called your flop checkraise and turn lead with only a pair of threes

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
heads up

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. I guess I was not very clear with my initial point. The question was supposed to be more read-oriented. Obviously its not hard to call the flop checkraise and turn lead if villain puts Hero on a semibluff with a draw or a pure bluff because it was heads up. But a pair of three's doesn't beat much except for those two hands. I am not saying that I am completely confused as to why villain would call with three's on the flop and turn, I am just saying its a harder question to answer than why villain capped the river, especially if villain did not put Hero on a semibluff or pure bluff. And if villain DID put Hero on a semibluff or pure bluff, doesn't it make more sense to reraise the flop and/or raise the turn to find out if the read is correct and to make Hero pay for a draw rather than to just keep calling hoping Hero doesn't catch his draw or a higher pair?
Old 03-03-2005, 12:52 PM

Why would you play John D'Agostino heads up 100-200? This is just a general question about high limit play. How do people decide to play heads up at the nosebleed limits? Both people would have to believe they have the edge assuming they are successful rational well-rolled players.
Old 03-03-2005, 01:07 PM

why didnt you 3 bet preflop?
Old 03-03-2005, 01:34 PM

There are lots of reasons to play this game. I wouldn't play Dags, as I've heard he's quite tough, but there are several otherwise good players whom I would play headsup. Most of these guys get tilted pretty easy. The limits are high enough that tilters start feeling it earlier, so at times, I may be break-even or even a small dog agaisnt them at, say 40-80, but at 1-2, I can be a big favorite by remaining tilt-free. Short games aren't played in a vacuum, and hands spill over to each other, this is a key concept.