Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2005, 01:09 AM

Default Heads up final table - Right/Wrong play?

Alright - forgive me if the numbers are a little off but I will make them as close as possible - recently came in second in mtt wondering if I played final hand correctly.
Villain is fairly tight, even heads-up, and have been able to steal many blinds from - but starting to get cocky/impatient after heads-up lasting for a while and just getting lucky hitting his 3 outer.
Hero: 25k
Villain: 40k, blinds at 1k/2k, Hero is bb with 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], villain limps, hero check
flop is 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] , hero checks, villain bets 2k, hero makes it 6k, villain makes it 12k, Hero goes all-in , villain calls with 10-10 , no improvement & I'm out. How was this play?
Old 04-22-2005, 07:03 AM

Default Re: Heads up final table - Right/Wrong play?

32s is your bust out hand? LOL!

You know that was all bad, pushing a flush draw for the whole tournament, when he already re-raised?

Worse than 2 to 1 to get there (possibly some other outs too, but unknown) and you had ZERO chance of him folding to the AI.

At best you call his 2K flop bet and get there FIRST, and even then, any 2 diamonds he has would have you crushed.

>TW<
Old 04-22-2005, 08:14 AM

your read on him being very tight should have sent off major alarms in your head when he miniraised you back begging you to come along. You can still lay this down here and have chips to find a better hand. Even if you fold here you only need to dbl through once to be back in the game.

I would prefer to see this push with 2 overcards to the flush than with the 23s since even if you make your flush on the turn you then may have to possibly dodge a bigger one on the river.

I just wouldn't feel too good about calling off all my chips with a 23s on a draw when folding still leaves me 9-10 BB.
Old 04-22-2005, 08:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
32s is your bust out hand? LOL!

You know that was all bad, pushing a flush draw for the whole tournament, when he already re-raised?

Worse than 2 to 1 to get there (possibly some other outs too, but unknown) and you had ZERO chance of him folding to the AI.

At best you call his 2K flop bet and get there FIRST, and even then, any 2 diamonds he has would have you crushed.

>TW<

[/ QUOTE ]

umm.. just so you know.. I'm a favorite against ACES at this point - so the odds aren't that bad - I agree that I misplayed but I think you're overreacting - it wasn't just a flush draw - it was the pair with the pair with the flush draw - it turned out I wasn't as big a fav. as I thought - and it was the incorrect play I'm sure of it - but I WAS a favorite against everythign but a set or 2 pair- and I figured him more for an overpair then anything else - he had limped then checked qq all the way down earlier.
Old 04-22-2005, 11:18 AM

you've apparently figured this out, but ignore the first two posts. you want to be all-in on this flop, but you want to do it in a way that maximizes your FE.

i prefer a bet of ~3k on the flop. then if villain raises to 8k, you can push and have good FE and win a nice big pot if he does fold.

if he calls, not too bad. bet if you make a flush, check otherwise. you risk getting pushed off the best hand on the river if you don't improve, but so be it.
Old 04-22-2005, 11:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you've apparently figured this out, but ignore the first two posts. you want to be all-in on this flop, but you want to do it in a way that maximizes your FE.

i prefer a bet of ~3k on the flop. then if villain raises to 8k, you can push and have good FE and win a nice big pot if he does fold.

if he calls, not too bad. bet if you make a flush, check otherwise. you risk getting pushed off the best hand on the river if you don't improve, but so be it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with schwza on this. The problem is not getting allin on the flop its just the way that you did it. I think I'm loving that flop with my hand.

I would go for the 2/3 or pot-size lead and the reraise allin. Even if he folds only 5% of the time here which is really conservative this is a clear +EV move.

-Gryph
Old 04-22-2005, 11:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed entirely, you're a favorite against anything except 2 pair or better and I wouldn't mind pushing either, but once the villian makes it 12K, you have little to no FE.

Likely wouldn't matters here given his overpair, but he might laydown TPWK or a higher flush draw if you pushed earlier.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:12 PM

didnt read the rest of the posts, but i'll throw my 2 cents out there anyway. you have a couple of problems, one of them is that if you're a favorite, you aren't a very big one. and if you're a dog, you're probably a huge one. i would have laid it down to his 12k minraise, presuming the betting pattern went like that, because i have no FE at this spot, and i now have to hit my draw to win, and i'm not even sure that my draw is good if i DO hit it. personally (and dont ask me how good this advice is=p), i'd probably lead out with a pot sized or slightly larger bet, and fold to a decent raise from him, because there have to be better spots to get my money in.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i was thinkin the same thing when i read the first 2 posts.

i would lead pot here, and push all in when rr'd.

he made the mistake of giving you a free flop that you hit pretty hard.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and if you're a dog, you're probably a huge one

[/ QUOTE ]

you're never worse than a ~75-25 dog (to a set).