Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2005, 11:40 AM

Default Samsung 213T Black DVI LCD Monitors w/$100 rebate

I just saw this on Tiger Direct. $698.99 with $100 rebate for a final price of $598.99. Tiger Direct Anyone know if they are cheaper anywhere else?

Big Steve [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 04-13-2005, 11:52 AM

Default Re: Samsung 213T Black DVI LCD Monitors w/$100 rebate

i have been looking at that myself and havent seen it cheaper, i would like some of the techs to give us some good advice here. I am buying a new computer and wouldnt mind ordering two of these.
Old 04-13-2005, 12:58 PM

If you can get TigerDirect to pay a rebate you are a better man than ANY of thier previous customers.
Old 04-13-2005, 02:02 PM

I don't know anything about Tiger Direct but the 213T is a very good monitor. When I bought mine they came with a coupon for a $100 mail-in rebate from Samsung.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know anything about Tiger Direct but the 213T is a very good monitor. When I bought mine they came with a coupon for a $100 mail-in rebate from Samsung.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why did you go with the 213T over the 2001fp?

-2kF
Old 04-13-2005, 06:54 PM

First off, Samsung is known for making very good products. They make the panels that form the screen.

Dell doesn’t “make” anything – they piece things together that others have manufactured – and they tend to do so in the cheapest way possible, aiming for mass-market price appeal rather than high quality.

Then I did a whole bunch of research on the web, looking up reviews of both monitors. The reviews of the Dell are full of “dead pixels” and “screen door effect.” The reviews of the Samsung are full of “great monitor.”

And the Samsung is bigger. The 213 means 21.3 inches.

What it comes down to, I guess, is something like – more people drive a Chevy than drive a Mercedes – a lot of them like their Chevys and keep buying new ones. A lot of Mercedes owners keep the one they have for a very long time.
Old 04-13-2005, 07:01 PM

If you are saying Samsung is a Mercedes and Dell is a Chevy, you are sorely mistaken. First of all, Dell uses LG and SAMSUNG panels in their own products. Second of all, you hear about more dead pixels with Dell because more peopl have Dells. Dead pixels are a natural occurance with any brand of LCD. Thirdly, I used the Samsung at my work and ordered the Dell based on that. The response time was simply not up to par for watching actions movies or gaming. Also I think their greens look weird but that could just be me. Generally, the people who put the Samsung ahead of the Dell by anything more than "slightly", have never used the Dell.
Old 04-13-2005, 07:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
First of all, Dell uses LG and SAMSUNG panels in their own products.

[/ QUOTE ]

The panel in the Dell 2001FP is not made by Samsung.

[ QUOTE ]
you hear about more dead pixels with Dell because more peopl have Dells.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don’t hear about dead pixels in Samsungs because Samsungs don’t get dead pixels.

[ QUOTE ]
Dead pixels are a natural occurance with any brand of LCD.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don’t hear about dead pixels in Samsungs because Samsungs don’t get dead pixels.

[ QUOTE ]
The response time was simply not up to par for watching actions movies or gaming.

[/ QUOTE ]

I’m getting tired of responding to you on response time. I know nothing about how it is for watching movies; I don’t watch movies on my computer. As for gaming, I start to see an occasional jump when I go over 300 frames per second. Not many people could come close to 300fps on the computer they use for poker ... and anyway, as I have stated over and over and over, people who play fast action games seriously, and who have computers fast enough to reach 300fps in those games don’t use the Dell monitor either ... they use a CRT. So, one more time, your comments on the response time of the Dell have no real application to this discussion.

[ QUOTE ]
people who put the Samsung ahead of the Dell ... have never used the Dell

[/ QUOTE ]

I have seen them set up side by side. The Dell owner sighed. The Samsung owner smiled.

Like I said, a lot of people like their Chevys. Some of them would even argue that they are better than Mercedes – they ride softer, cost less to fix when something goes wrong, etc. The Mercedes guy tends to like the firm ride that comes with superior handling and doesn’t mind spending more to fix it since it breaks down significantly less often.
Old 04-13-2005, 11:20 PM

I have two samsung lcd's at home, both have 0 dead pixels. I have a dell lcd at work, it has 3 dead pixels.

As far as the response time of the 2001fp. Samsung currently has this area dominated with the 915N which has a response time of 8ms. The Hyundai L90D+ uses this same 8ms panel. Check hardware-geek forums, the 2001fp lost it's throne as the "gaming lcd" a long time ago.
Old 04-14-2005, 12:43 AM

I probably waited a year longer than I should have before buying some 2001fps. The reason I waited was because I so passionately despise Dell based on prior experiences.

That said, I now work off both Dell and Samsung side-by-side and I'm not regretting my Dell purchases. I'm not going to draw too many conclusions, though, because the Samsung model is not their latest. That's why I'm interested in the 213T. Nothing would please me more than to find some good competition for the 2001fp.

Honestly, the screen door effect and dead pixel arguments don't tell me much. I'll be a monkey's uncle if anyone has screen door problems on a 20" 1600x1200 monitor. And to say that Samsung monitors don't get dead pixels is pretty ridiculous.

But I realize you can't know more than what you can find online at this point, so I'll be interested in hearing how it measures up when it arrives. I have high hopes.

-2kF