Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2004, 11:22 AM

Default Bankroll & paying urself

I just read the managing bankroll thread & had a question. At what point above ur bankroll do u pay urself? Also do u pay urself only the amount above ur BR? If u end a session/day above ur BR, do pay urself that amount that day & do so each day u end above it?
Old 10-15-2004, 02:49 PM

Default Re: Bankroll & paying urself

I just recently got to the point where I'm not concerned about building my bankroll anymore (well, for now anyway). Right now I play 2/4 and I have $2000 dedicated to it, which is well above the recommended 300 BB so I have room for swings without needing to drop down a level. Everything over $2000 at the end of the week goes to my bank account. When I get to the point where I'm going to try to move up to 3/6 I won't take everything out (perhaps 50% of the winnings for the week or whatever) and I will try to build a bankroll of 500 BB for 3/6. Rince and repeat for the next level.

I didn't do this when moving up the limits before 2/4 because the winnings were so small that it didn't make much sense to hinder the growth of my bankroll. Now that I'm in 2/4 and the winnings are more (I've pulled in over $1k in the past 5 days at 2/4), it's worth it to pull some of it out to help with my everyday expenses.

I think this is the best way for me to go about things. I have an over-adequate bankroll and I get some nice spending cash without worrying about being crippled by a bad swing. Your mileage may vary.
Old 10-15-2004, 02:56 PM

i play party 15/30.

a buddy who also plays that game and i have the same bankroll management system(to be fair, he did it first).

when my account gets to 10k, I withdraw 5k. lather rinse repeat.

obviously 5k isn't 300BB at 15/30 and i could have to recash in at some point, but i'm fine with that. It's better than keeping an absurd amount of cash on party.
Old 10-15-2004, 04:48 PM

If you have a $2000 bankroll and are a winning player, you are probably holding yourself back unnecessarily by playing $2/4, especially if you aren't playing for a living.
Old 10-15-2004, 06:43 PM

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I like to think of myself as a winning player. I've beat the lower limits at a consistant 4-5 BB/100 at 20k hands. However, I've only been playing 2/4 full time for a week. I've played 2,600 games and I've won $1,400... that's about 13.5BB/100. Now the games at the 2/4 tables at Party are incredibly soft, but that win rate is impossible to sustain. Last Sunday my bankroll stood at $1200. I've had a great week but I don't want to push my luck. I plan on playing 2/4 for 10-15k hands before I try 3/6. I want to make sure this week isn't a major fluke and that I can indeed beat 2/4.
Old 10-15-2004, 11:02 PM

i agree with andy b here, 3/6 is almost the same game as 2/4 on party, in fact 5/10 is just about the same game too. althought 5/10 can get savage, 3/6 is just as soft as 2/4. i'de say you should give it a shot, no reason not to
-tb houston
Old 10-15-2004, 11:41 PM

2/4 and 3/6 are a variable festival of bad draws and worse calls not just on pp but live aswell. Even at 5/10 you will consistently find yourself scraching your head wondering what on earth your opponent was thinking calling with jack high... but i suppose that may happen in the world series as well [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-16-2004, 12:27 AM

Okay, you guys have convinced me. I'm going to give 3/6 a try for a couple days. I'll let you know how it turns out. Wish my opponents bad luck! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]