Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2005, 04:02 PM

Default A texas hold em hand

Opponent is 32/20/2.2. I cant get the converter to work so I'll type it out. 30-60 Party.

Villian
is UTG and raises. All folded to me in the BB with K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and I call.

Flop: K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I check, he bets, I call.

Turn: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I check, he bets, I call.

River 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I check, he bets, I raise, he calls.
Old 08-21-2005, 04:15 PM

Default Re: A texas hold em hand

Looks good. I would probably bet the river instead against someone who's not as LAG as this guy, but the probability of this particular opponent checking behind is pretty small.
Old 08-21-2005, 04:37 PM

Were you checkraising most river cards? Because I think that river was an especially good card to CR with.
Old 08-21-2005, 04:39 PM

Hand seems super-standard to me.
Old 08-21-2005, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Were you checkraising most river cards? Because I think that river was an especially good card to CR with.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I liked the heart since it could freeze him up and keep him from three betting me with some better hands. I was going to checkraise most any river card anyway though.
Old 08-21-2005, 05:02 PM

Since he sees a lot of rivers, I'd check-raise the turn instead. You take a lot of risk checking that river, as many middle pairs will check behind, since they can't beat top of bottom pair any more. I'd say donking the river and check-raising the flop are salso in play as reasonable lines.

my 2 cents.
Eric
Old 08-21-2005, 05:08 PM

omg!! no way! a TEXAS HOLDEM hand from stevieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee g??!?!? im in SHOCK! [/sarcasm]

here's how i would have played this hand. 3bet preflop. bet /3bet the flop. bet the turn. bet the river.

given that you just called preflop i think taking your line occasionally is cool daddy-o. i sometimes think a turn c'r is fine as an A can come to a K whereas if you had AJ on an A high board your line works too (the fact you have 2nd best king or 3rd worse ace is just illustritive, i made it AJ b/c you absolutely must 3 bet AQ). he may check behind if an ace comes, but thats neither here nor there.

against 30/20/2's i tend to play my good hands very very very aggressively b/c they are loose and very very aggressive. they go off for TONS of bets.

in my past two sessions though ive noticed something depressing: some of these types of players have stopped giving me personally as much action as they used to after ive pumelled the hell out of them with something like middle pair top kicker and won a 10-15bb pot a few times. in this regard i think after nailing them 2 or 3 times i have to start being passive vs. them so they continue to give me the same level of action they give others.

all in all stevieeeeeeeeeee g, i think you're line is fine on occasion but if you do this every time you'll lose money onthe early streets that you may or may not make up on the laterones.

EDIT/copied from other post in thread: however, if this guys stats belie his action given postflop this line will certainly win more from him when he has nothing or A high he kept betting (which since he bet the river its likely he doesn't have Ahigh but a pair). so if thats the case, stevieeeeeeeeeeeee's line is optimal against that exact type of opponent./edit

but if you were gunna pick a hand and spot for this line, you did it. nh.

-Barron
Old 08-21-2005, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

then i dont think you are aggressive enough with a relative monster like KQs vs. guys who have the ability to lose many bets when behind.

personally i think this hand is a good change up one, and nowhere near super standard.

however, if this guys stats belie his action given postflop this line will certainly win more from him when he has nothing or A high he kept betting (which since he bet the river its likely he doesn't have Ahigh but a pair). so if thats the case, stevieeeeeeeeeeeee's line is optimal against that exact type of opponent.

-Barron
Old 08-21-2005, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
omg!! no way! a TEXAS HOLDEM hand from stevieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee g??!?!? im in SHOCK! [/sarcasm]

here's how i would have played this hand. 3bet preflop. bet /3bet the flop. bet the turn. bet the river.

given that you just called preflop i think taking your line occasionally is cool daddy-o. i sometimes think a turn c'r is fine as an A can come to a K whereas if you had AJ on an A high board your line works too (the fact you have 2nd best king or 3rd worse ace is just illustritive, i made it AJ b/c you absolutely must 3 bet AQ). he may check behind if an ace comes, but thats neither here nor there.

against 30/20/2's i tend to play my good hands very very very aggressively b/c they are loose and very very aggressive. they go off for TONS of bets.

in my past two sessions though ive noticed something depressing: some of these types of players have stopped giving me personally as much action as they used to after ive pumelled the hell out of them with something like middle pair top kicker and won a 10-15bb pot a few times. in this regard i think after nailing them 2 or 3 times i have to start being passive vs. them so they continue to give me the same level of action they give others.

all in all stevieeeeeeeeeee g, i think you're line is fine on occasion but if you do this every time you'll lose money onthe early streets that you may or may not make up on the laterones.

EDIT/copied from other post in thread: however, if this guys stats belie his action given postflop this line will certainly win more from him when he has nothing or A high he kept betting (which since he bet the river its likely he doesn't have Ahigh but a pair). so if thats the case, stevieeeeeeeeeeeee's line is optimal against that exact type of opponent./edit

but if you were gunna pick a hand and spot for this line, you did it. nh.

-Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

Intersting points. The reason I didnt play it fast is because I think this guy is gonna have dirt more often than not. My hand is really well protected when I'm ahead, and I'm pretty sure he'll keep firing if I keep checking. I thought about checkraising the turn, but I thought there was just to much of a chance he had something like Q10, or 89, or whatever, and would turbo muck. I wanted to give him a chance to bet both the turn and river for me if he didnt have a hand. I also dont think he checks 88 or 99 here behind on the river all that often. I was fairly sure he would value bet me again with those hands. However, if Im wrong about how often he will value bet a middle pair then my line could be bad.

There is defintely something to be said for playing it superfast, since at least some of the time he doesnt have a hand, he might chose to play back at me anyway.
Old 08-21-2005, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

then i dont think you are aggressive enough with a relative monster like KQs vs. guys who have the ability to lose many bets when behind.

personally i think this hand is a good change up one, and nowhere near super standard.

however, if this guys stats belie his action given postflop this line will certainly win more from him when he has nothing or A high he kept betting (which since he bet the river its likely he doesn't have Ahigh but a pair). so if thats the case, stevieeeeeeeeeeeee's line is optimal against that exact type of opponent.

-Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a lot of the hands in this guys range can't take any heat on this board. An AF of 2 doesn't necessarily mean a guy that will go off for a ton of bets (although he may well in some spots) it means he bets, raises, and folds twice as often as he calls postflop. If I've been playing seemingly more LAG than usual during the time leading up to the hand, then I'll certainly take a different line, but genrally I think when you give more action on the earlier streets in this spot, you risk losing a guy who will gladly bet when checked to on every street.

Sometimes he'll have something like KJ that would have gone of for a lot bets, but much more often he has something like QT or A8.