Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2005, 11:24 AM

Default overplayed 1/2 stud hi hand?

7 Card Stud High ($1/$2), Ante $0.25, Bring-In $0.50 (hand converter)

3rd Street - (1.50 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___completes
Seat 2: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___brings-in___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 5: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (5.50 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___calls___calls
Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___raises

5th Street - (6.75 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets___raises
Seat 2: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises___calls

6th Street - (18.75 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 2: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets___calls

River - (26.75 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___bets
Seat 2: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___folds
Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls

Total pot: (29.75 BB)

I should have folded 3rd and not raised 5th I'm guessing?
Old 09-30-2005, 11:40 AM

Default Re: overplayed 1/2 stud hi hand?

Why are we calling 3rd street again? Dead pair cards, dead straight cards, etc. I would just bet 4th street. Raising 5th here is just hating money...you are likely to be reraised and extremely unlikely to win it right there. Plus getting a free card on 6th even if you're not reraised isn't terribly likely against that many opponents. Plus some of your cards are dead and you're drawing. Your bet on 6th might be ok, but I don't really like it. The guy who reraised 5th is likely to be very strong and poss full. Plus he ain't buying you have three queen, he will put you on two pair. And I think he can beat two pair based on his 5th play. If I screwed up and bet, I might fold to this raise but probably would end up calling. On the end, now you have to call b/c the pot's big and it's now slightly possible you're winning. But I don't like your play on this one.

Jeff
Old 09-30-2005, 11:59 AM

My thinking in raising 5th was:
He probably has jacks up, and I'll represent queens up. Get more money in the pot while I still have some pot equity and if he belives me, I'll get to check behind on 6th.
Old 09-30-2005, 12:09 PM

The problem is, he is not your only opponent and 6th is very likely to be bet either by him or someone else. I also don't like the raise b/c it's possible you are against a loaded hand, your cards are deadish so you prob won't hit and you can hit and still lose. And you're not heads up.

These are just my opinions though...

Jeff
Old 09-30-2005, 12:21 PM

I like your opinoins though [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

just check/call it down and bet/call 6th when i hit QQ doesn't sound too exciting but if that's the best line then I'll be sure to do that next time.
Old 09-30-2005, 12:33 PM

Limping in with that hand doesn't make sense to me.

Raising 5th makes no sense either. The only alternative that I see to calling is capping, but i dont think you can successfully represent the made straight here when he has two of the jacks.
Old 09-30-2005, 01:03 PM

Jeffage, I have great respect for your input based on your previous posts that I have read.Also, I mainly agree with you on this one. This said, my oppisition to bigredlemon's play on this hand is more moderate. So, in his defense: 1. On 4th street, of the 9 possible pair cards, only 1 is dead. Of the 12 possible straightening cards, only 1 is dead, & it,s not an 8, the most significant. 2. If you elect to just bet on 4th street, seat 1 may raise & thin the field, which you don't want. The check raise worked well. He has reasonablr equity on a 7 card draw with 3 cards to come. I agree with you completely on 5th, 6th, & 7th.
Old 09-30-2005, 04:11 PM

Fold third. But after that, I think it's ok. You can't like being 3bet though so I think you should have checked 6th.
Old 09-30-2005, 04:16 PM

I was actually rather surprised that he raised me so many times given how many times I raised him back. Most 1/2 players aren't that aggressive without a big hand.)
Old 09-30-2005, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was actually rather surprised that he raised me so many times given how many times I raised him back. Most 1/2 players aren't that aggressive without a big hand.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Make a note [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]