Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2005, 11:06 AM

Default Mattress (tempur/foam/etc)

Ok, I remember we had a bunch of tempurpedic mattress posts here but I wonder how they compare to the off brand foam/non-foam stuff. Looking to get a reasonably priced mattress/frame/spring (queen size)...something that will hopefully last me a while.

Any good deals, what is best out there?
(serious post in OOT...what the hell is wrong with me?)
Old 11-11-2005, 07:17 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand
Default Re: Mattress (tempur/foam/etc)

I got a Novafoam mattress. It cost around 1/4 what a tempurpedic costs and feels the same to me. But for 1/4 of the price, it's hard to beat.

Costco rocks!

b
Old 11-11-2005, 10:40 AM

Go try 'em out in the store. Some people like the off-brand ones better (the mattresses are different weights, etc.), some people think they're the same. I tried out a few and found that I liked the Tempurpedic Classic (the cheapest Tempurpedic) way better than the off-brands and better than the other Tempurpedics.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:00 AM

I bought mine from www.memoryfoam.com.

E-mail them. The dude knows his [censored]. I told him I was typically I side/stomach sleeper and he recommended two different mattress kits that would suit me well.

Just be sure to follow the instructions *exactly* when unpacking the stuff or you could seriously damage it.

Also, even with shipping, it is significantly cheaper than a Tempurpedic and feels the same or better.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:34 PM

Anyone every try AngelBeds.com? Also, anyone use the tempurpedic classic (mattress.com has it for $1399 w/foundation)...is it worth the extra $400 over the angelbeds 'modern' 8 inch?

Thanks!
Old 11-14-2005, 03:39 PM

I was close to buying a Sealy Memory Foam this weekend, until the salesman warned me that these beds suck to have sex in. It never occurred to me how useful the springs are in the act of coitus. So just an FYI to anyone else.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:56 PM

I always heard the opposite: that they make sex better...
Old 11-14-2005, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was close to buying a Sealy Memory Foam this weekend, until the salesman warned me that these beds suck to have sex in. It never occurred to me how useful the springs are in the act of coitus. So just an FYI to anyone else.

[/ QUOTE ]

Twenty years ago I gave up on waterbeds because of this - they were way overrated back then (or it seemed people who had lots of sex often had waterbeds). I'm fairly sure people who liked waterbeds at first were struck by the novelty or fantasy value.

Anyway, I wonder if a decent LA area hotel has these very high end mattresses available for a tryout. I don't trust the opinion of salesmen.

~ Rick
Old 11-14-2005, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was laying down on one this weekend at the store, and I could see what he meant, if the foam is rigid, its just like banging on the floor. If your body heat gets going, the material softens, but then it would be like humping in the sand.

I really trusted this salesman .From my years of being a retail salesman I have a good [censored] detector.

I mean, I was about to drop 2k on the mattress and he basically talked me out of it saying they weren't for a young guy --that I would be much happier with a normal pillowtop mattress.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was laying down on one this weekend at the store, and I could see what he meant, if the foam is rigid, its just like banging on the floor. If your body heat gets going, the material softens, but then it would be like humping in the sand.

I really trusted this salesman .From my years of being a retail salesman I have a good [censored] detector.

I mean, I was about to drop 2k on the mattress and he basically talked me out of it saying they weren't for a young guy --that I would be much happier with a normal pillowtop mattress.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this salesmen is trying to talk you out of an expensive purchase for a more modest one at his store than he is not only a great salesmen (in the long term) but a great person.

~ Rick