Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2005, 04:09 PM

Default Open Ended Straight How to play?

Not enough hands to have a read on either player.
Im sure there are posts on this but i havent read one.
My question is how do play this. Do I raise the flop knowing I'm behind with at least 8 outs? I know I was not aggresive from the flop on should i have bet all the way to the river? Then c/f or b/f the river?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 4 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. UTG posts a blind of $1.
[color=#CC3333]UTG (poster) raises</font>, [color=#CC3333]Hero 3-bets</font>, SB calls, [color=#666666]1 fold</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (10 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [color=#0000FF](3 players)</font>
[color=#CC3333]SB bets</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [color=#0000FF](3 players)</font>
[color=#CC3333]SB bets</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

River: (9.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [color=#0000FF](3 players)</font>
SB checks, [color=#CC3333]UTG bets</font>, Hero folds, SB calls.

Final Pot: 11.50 BB
Old 12-10-2005, 04:22 PM

Default Re: Open Ended Straight How to play?

Hey man, welcome to the forums. First off, when you convert your hand history, make sure to change the format to "2+2" so that the colors will come out correctly.

Second, I think this is a classic spot to raise the flop for a free card. With what looks like 8 clean outs and two likely callers, plus two overcards to the flop, you almost have a raise for value. The possibility of a free card makes it a cinch.

I would probably take the free card on the turn if I am unimproved and it is checked to me, but if one of the players folds to your raise, it may be worth another bet.
Old 12-10-2005, 04:28 PM

Ack sorry I forgot to select 2+2 Only my second post. I will try to correct this going forward
Old 12-10-2005, 05:34 PM

yeah, UTG posters tend to raise a majority of their hands so preflop is good.
But you need to raise the flop, you have a lot of outs if you hit top pair.
Old 12-10-2005, 05:48 PM

I usually respect the 1/2 UTG pfr and fold here. I'd probably cc before raising because I think we're dominated fairly often here.

If I had a read on the pfr as tight, I don't mind calling the flop and letting SB lead the turn again because it may clean up our outs when the pfr folds. But I think a 'typical' opponent here would draw with AK/AQ until the river. So as it played out, I raise the flop. SB will be scared sh!tless by the amount of strength you've shown and you'll usually get a free card IMO.
Old 12-10-2005, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ack sorry I forgot to select 2+2 Only my second post. I will try to correct this going forward

[/ QUOTE ]

You can always edit it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] No biggie. Welcome to 2+2.

This is a standard free card spot. You have a strong draw and position. Raise, bet improved, check behind unimproved. Check/fold the river unimproved.