Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2005, 06:07 AM

Default 1/2 NL Live Short Stack on a draw

1/2 NL Live-
(game plays such that people do not protect their hands in multi-way pots by unintentionally underbetting and therefore giving draws favorable odds to call)

Hero has shown down 3 hands in 2 hours of play. AKs for flopped nut flush that was called down to river. KK as a loser to ATs. A6s lost to 8To shortstack calling station after semi-bluff on flop C/R with bottom pair and flush draw.

Hero is on the button with T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and $100
UTG (1st time ever playing NLHE) raise to $10. MP calls. LP (loose VILLAIN) calls. Hero calls. Blinds fold. All players have Hero covered.

Flop $43. T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (4 players)
UTG bets $10. MP hesistantly calls. Villain raises to $35. Hero??

Add'l info: UTG & MP did not react favorably to MP's raise and seemed as if they were ready to fold
Old 02-03-2005, 06:11 AM

Default Re: 1/2 NL Live Short Stack on a draw

Fold preflop.
Old 02-03-2005, 06:22 AM

would it only be right to play drawing hands for a raise in this game if i were deep stacked?

I felt that drawing hands went up in value in this game b/c people were not betting to protect their strong hands after the flop and draws were getting priced in unintentionally by weak post-flop players.
Old 02-03-2005, 06:29 AM

They're good stack breaking hands as per usual, but you MUST be deeper for this concept to come into play.

We're they paying off when the draws hit? If people could not get away from hands and were paying off when you hit than the implied odds of the suited connectors are obviously higher.

Pat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 02-03-2005, 06:35 AM

in this game, they were being paid off by all except 1 (possibly 2) solid players (neither of which played this hand)

i guess the point is that i should be deep-stacked enough in order to be able to get their whole stack in the pot when I hit ... and not just my own??
Old 02-03-2005, 06:39 AM

I don't think you necessarily have to fold preflop. I'd fold this flop though, the players you're up against don't seem to be good enough to have folding equity against, and there's a good chance you're drawing to the flush alone.
Old 02-03-2005, 06:46 AM

you are 100% correct about not having fold equity. Once somebody re-raises in this game, it is a small miracle if they lay down a hand. Seems like a pride thing or something.

my question is ... if you think it's alright for me to call this hand pre-flop ... exactly what type of flop am I looking to hit where I would want to get my $$ in? (2 pair, flopped flush/str8 ... wouldnt that sort of be an argument to play ATC then?) ...just wondering
Old 02-03-2005, 06:49 AM

If you hit this particular flop and Villain hadn't raised, I would play it very aggressively. OE/gutshot straight flush draws as well. However, against UTG you are clearly looking to flop a made hand, since he seems like he might suck enough to get it in regardless. I think the fact that you have little folding equity against him with drawing type hands counterbalances the fact that you get it all-in when you flop a made hand.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:54 AM

preflop call is questionable.....push the flop.....it sounds like loose villain could have just a ten here.....you're basically a coinflip with any one-pair hand....you only have $90 left, even if he's likely to call you're okay getting all-in being laid $153 to $90.....
Old 02-03-2005, 06:51 PM

Default Results

Flop $43. T 5 3 (4 players)
UTG bets $10. MP hesistantly calls. Villain raises to $35. Hero pushes all-in for $90. 2 folds. Villain calls and turns over 55.

Turn 10

River 9
J/K ... i wish ... it was actually an 8 ... but looked like a 9 from all the way at my extreme end of the table ... I busted out