Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2005, 01:26 AM

Default continuation bets

In your experience, at small limits (50NL and less), if the first CB gets called by one player, do you fire off another 2/3 PSB? It seems that this is never +EV (win a small pot or lose a big one etc). Thoughts?
Old 10-23-2005, 01:27 AM

Default Re: continuation bets

depends on stack size, reads, position and turn card.

c-bet vs 2 players after missing the flop/turn is most often money burning.
Old 10-23-2005, 01:31 AM

I specified 1 player. It wouldn't be a CB if the turn card improved you, it would be a semibluff or value bet. Take the general case. Obviously if I have a good read on a particular opponent I'd know if I should do it...
Old 10-23-2005, 01:36 AM

I find six handed a lot of players, including my self will fold without a pretty strong continuation to a PSB on the Turn if you've fired one on the flop.

It depends on your table image and how fishy/new the opponents are.
Old 10-23-2005, 02:35 AM

Sometimes....Don't always fold the turn UI, and don't automatically fire a second barrel by default either.
Old 10-23-2005, 02:42 AM

i do not fire 2 shells anymore. this doesnt mean that i am always folding on the turn ui.
Old 10-23-2005, 02:45 AM

Ive found some success with Continuation bets in 50nl. Just dont get too attached and a second bullet is usually not a good idea. I think it also gives the impression to certain players that you will fold to a bet and will get paid with monsters.
Old 10-23-2005, 03:06 AM

I think this is one of the many strategy areas where there is no general case, each decision is unique and fluid and highly dependant upon how you percieve your chances of success 'this time'. If you think a 2nd shot will fold your opponent you shoot. If always shooting again was +EV someone here would tell you to always do it because that would be free money and a no-brainer.

One reason that you don't want to play a big pot on weak holdings like TPGK is because so many of your weak oponents will call you down with weak draws, bottom pair etc that can improve to beat you. Overplaying your missed hands aswell is asking for trouble. LET THEM GO! Fold that garbage, you will make more money by folding your misses than you will betting them.