Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2005, 07:52 PM

Default Overcards: Misplaced Aggression or a Good Semi-Bluff?

Wacky Party 5/10 game 10 handed

UTG folds, EP (loose/passive) & EP2 (clueless magoo) call, 2 folds, I raise K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] from LMP, button (loose/passive) cold calls, folded to EP who calls, EP2 calls.

Flop: T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (4 players, 9 SBs)

EP checks, EP2 bets, I raise, button cold calls, EP cold calls, EP2 3bets, everyone calls.

Turn: J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (4 players, 10.5 BBs)

EP checks, EP2 bets, I call, button raises, EP cold calls, EP2 calls, I call.

River: 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (4 players, 18.5 BBs)

Checked to the raiser who bets, SB folds, EP2 calls, I fold.

So how about the flop raise? Is this a good spot to try to clean up some outs, or am I misapplying the concept?
Old 06-19-2005, 08:01 PM

Default Re: Overcards: Misplaced Aggression or a Good Semi-Bluff?

Fine by me. They are all passive, so you could get a free card on the turn. Also you have some backdoor draws to bail you out.

I don't consider this a semibluff, though. You are not very likely to win this pot unimproved.
Old 06-19-2005, 11:08 PM

Flop raise is ok here. You were the aggressor preflop. It just didn't turn out like you planned when it got 3-bet. Then you were playing pot odds after that. Turn and river are standard.
Old 06-19-2005, 11:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wacky Party 5/10 game 10 handed

UTG folds, EP (loose/passive) & EP2 (clueless magoo) call, 2 folds, I raise K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] from LMP, button (loose/passive) cold calls, folded to EP who calls, EP2 calls.

Flop: T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (4 players, 9 SBs)

EP checks, EP2 bets, I raise, button cold calls, EP cold calls, EP2 3bets, everyone calls.

Turn: J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (4 players, 10.5 BBs)

EP checks, EP2 bets, I call, button raises, EP cold calls, EP2 calls, I call.

River: 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (4 players, 18.5 BBs)

Checked to the raiser who bets, SB folds, EP2 calls, I fold.

So how about the flop raise? Is this a good spot to try to clean up some outs, or am I misapplying the concept?

[/ QUOTE ]

You played it fine.

Your overcards are worth 2-3 outs total, and the backdoor flush and straight draws maybe 2 outs total. For a 4-5 out hand your play is fine.
Old 06-19-2005, 11:51 PM

I'm pretty conservative as a new player. If I don't connect with the flop I think I would fold against 5 opps. For me minimise loses with less then 8 outs. I'm pretty sceptical whether you even have 6. Wacky players play random big cards all the time.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:03 AM

2 outs for Q
3 outs for K
3 outs for backdoors.

Now also considering that it is very likely one of the players could be calling with QT or KT and that there are 2 hearts on the board and 3 other players in the pot its very likely there is a heart draw out there. So that backdoor straight has to catch 6 then 3. I think at best you have 3.5 outs. Not enough to raise here. There is also someone left to act and the fact someone is betting into the raiser here shows strength. Calling yields 1:9 pot odds, barely worth a call. Dont count all your outs as live. You have 1/2 as many as you think. If the T was a 7 I would give more credit for your outs. But most bad players will call raises with any 2 face. So KT, QT might be likely.
Old 06-20-2005, 06:11 AM

too many players to raise. peel one.