Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2005, 01:38 PM

Default 6max - Dealing with the pre-flop min-raise

One thing I have noticed in my first ~30k hands at the 6max tables is the abundance of EP pre-flop minraises. Maybe this was going on a lot at the full-ring tables too, but I was pre-flop raising a lot less then and only with hands that I had no problem re-popping it up big.

So, assume the following situation (full stacks yada yada). UTG minraises (he does this often), MP calls, CO calls, you are on button with a marginal raising hand KQo/KQs/AJs/KJs etc. Are you popping this up everytime? I am sometimes uncomfortable making a 10xBB raise with these holdings and just wondered how other people deal with this common situation.

Thanks
Old 10-24-2005, 01:50 PM

Default Re: 6max - Dealing with the pre-flop min-raise

I think the presence of the cold-caller turns these into a call for me, but I'm very interested in what others have to say about this. If the cold-caller is decent and you put in a PSR, I think that, on average, you're only getting called by hands that are currently ahead of you. If, on the other hand, the cold-caller has a VP$IP of like 60% and is constantly cold calling these minraises, then yeah, I bump it up here.
Old 10-24-2005, 02:08 PM

People min-raise and call min-raise with crap. You are on the button with some suited broadway cards, wich are better than average multiway cards with position. Calling cant be that wrong.

If you want to pop it to try to win it right there, you can do it with trash, you dont need a good hand to do it.

With all that said, I would pop it preflop here some of the times with a hand like AJ because if someone call me I have a better chance of beating him after the flop than if I had some trash, but it would be like 30 % of the time for me, and it depends on who is raising and if they are able to fold preflop to a big reraise.

If I have Axs I tend not to reraise to keep people in the pot to make a nut flush and busting them instead of winning a small pot.

Its the way I see it anyway.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
People min-raise and call min-raise with crap.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is really a questionable assumption. There are just too many variables to rely on this idea. Yes, SOME people min-raise with crap. Others min-raise with AA and KK. Some simply use the min-raise as their standard raise (they're too lazy to use the slider or type something in).

Personally, I try to figure out what a min-raise means for each player and make a note on it. Otherwise I make an educated guess based on stats. When in doubt I treat the min-raise as a normal raise.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
People min-raise and call min-raise with crap.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is really a questionable assumption. There are just too many variables to rely on this idea. Yes, SOME people min-raise with crap. Others min-raise with AA and KK. Some simply use the min-raise as their standard raise (they're too lazy to use the slider or type something in).

Personally, I try to figure out what a min-raise means for each player and make a note on it. Otherwise I make an educated guess based on stats. When in doubt I treat the min-raise as a normal raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, people usually (70 %) min-raise with crap and call almost always (90%) min-raise with crap.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:40 PM

In a real game, call and see a flop. On party bump it up and take the lead with position. You likely have the best hand any way. At this level mini-raise = limp to me. I deal with them the same.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:44 PM

I agree with FD, against the vast majority of players who MR in early position I treat it the same as a limp.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When in doubt I treat the min-raise as a normal raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? I treat the PF min-raise as a limp as a default.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At this level mini-raise = limp to me. I deal with them the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is my line of thinking, too.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:58 PM

the pre-flop mini-raise puts me on tilt