Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2005, 01:28 PM

Default need tech help with adding second monitor (yes, i\'ve already searched)

I agree, everyone should search before posting. A lot of informative stuff is available for people like me, who don't know a motherboard from Mother's Day.

All right, here's my story:

I found an old Dell 21" CRT monitor at a flea market (I don't know how old this thing is, but it weighs a TON).

I went to CompUSA, and bought a Radeon7000 vid card ($50, plus $30 for a DVI/VGA adapter--definitions for newbies are below).

The instructions say I need to uninstall my old video card before installing this one, and it's probably not a card at all, but built onto the motherboard. So I go to Device Manager (it's in the Control Panel somewhere), and find "Intel(R) 82845G Graphics controller". I uninstall it.

Surprisingly, my computer still works.

Next, I unplugged every cable, and opened up the tower (man, there's a lot of dust in there!), and installed the new video card into the PCI thing (for you fellow novices: the PCI thing is inside your computer--it's what you plug the video card into--and it shouldn't take me half a day to learn that!).

Hooked up the original monitor to the VGA (VGA is an outlet, made for plugging in CRT monitors). Using an adapter, I plugged the newly-purchased monitor into the DVI (DVI is the new generation of outlets, for the new generation of monitors--you can't plug an old CRT into it, unless you buy an adapter).

Hook up the rest of my cables, and turn everything on. The giant Dell monitor is working, but the smaller HP monitor that I've always used is blank (but the green power light is on).

I right-click on the Desktop, select "Properties" then "Settings". I check the box that says, "Extend my Windows Desktop to this monitor", then click "OK".

Both monitors go black.

I try to re-boot. When Windows opens, I get a desktop, but no taskbar, Start Button, nor icons. Just a blank desktop with the background I had picked--and clicking on it does nothing.

I spent the whole day messing with thing. I learned what Safe Mode is (actually, no I didn't--I just learned that it existed). Messed around, but came up with nothing.

I hit "System Restore", and now I have a brand-new computer again, with a Radeon video card inside and two monitors plugged in.

But only one works.

HELP!

The Device Manager shows two display adapters: the Intel Graphics Controller, and the Radeon card.

It also lists three monitors: the Dell "on Radeon", one "Default Monitor" on Radeon (this monitor used to show up by name, "HP mx75", before I started screwing with this thing), and one default monitor on the Intel Graphics Controller (nothing is plugged into that old monitor outlet).

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I've been unable to play poker all weekend, and time is money!
Old 03-14-2005, 01:42 PM

Default Re: need tech help with adding second monitor (yes, i\'ve already searc

Are you sure that the video card supports two monitors?

It should have two plugs in it if it does.

I spent a week figuring out that some don't support two monitors.

Are both video cards in your computer? My computer doesn't accept having two video cards in it.
Old 03-14-2005, 01:50 PM

You have to disable the on board graffics. then configure the two monitors. im not a computer guy but i just went thru this last thursday night.
Old 03-14-2005, 01:51 PM

Default Re: need tech help with adding second monitor (yes, i\'ve already searched)

You should disable your old card in the BIOS (that's the F1 or Delete key as you switch on the PC) if possible, not through Windows. There should be some sort of 'disable onboard graphics' or something similar. No idea if that will help getting the second monitor working but it's possible and it's good practice nonetheless.
Old 03-14-2005, 02:09 PM

Default Re: need tech help with adding second monitor (yes, i\'ve already searched)

It took me 3 hours to work out that you have to press a button on the 2001 FP to accept DVI input. Dunno if this is your problem of course.
Old 03-14-2005, 02:19 PM

my dell 2001fp is in the mail. what do i need to buy add a 2nd moniter (original emachines LCD).

a video card that supports two moniters? is that all i need to say to the salesperson? can i get this at radioshak/staples or just a place like best buy?

what are the next steps?

also, do i need to max out the resolution on the 2001 or does it fit four tables no problem?
Old 03-14-2005, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you sure that the video card supports two monitors? It should have two plugs in it if it does.

[/ QUOTE ]

The tech guy at CompUSA says it does (support two monitors). And this particular card (Radeon 7000) was recommended in another "multiple monitors" thread in this forum.

And it has two plugs. One VGA (for CRT's), and one DVI (for the new generation of monitors).

[ QUOTE ]
Are both video cards in your computer? My computer doesn't accept having two video cards in it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The original is not a card, but part of the original software.
Old 03-14-2005, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You have to disable the on board graffics. then configure the two monitors. im not a computer guy but i just went thru this last thursday night.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you do either of these? Thanks.
Old 03-14-2005, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
my dell 2001fp is in the mail. what do i need to buy add a 2nd moniter (original emachines LCD).

a video card that supports two moniters? is that all i need to say to the salesperson? can i get this at radioshak/staples or just a place like best buy?

what are the next steps?

also, do i need to max out the resolution on the 2001 or does it fit four tables no problem?

[/ QUOTE ]

I went to Office Max, and told them I wanted to run two monitors. They gave me something that costs about $30, and I was in and out in about one minute.

"This is beautiful," I thought. "Everything in life should go this smoothly."

Got it home, and before I even opened it, I could tell it was the wrong thing (it's a signal splitter, which sends identical images to different monitors).

I went to a few similar stores, and they all recommended CompUSA.

I tried Best Buy first, though. They're cheapest card with multiple outputs was about $250. When I told the guy I was looking to spend about $50, he scoffed at my foolishness.

I went across the street to CompUSA. Picked up a couple of different $50 ones, brought them to the techinician's counter, told them what I wanted to do, and how ignorant I am. They pointed out the right card for the job, and told me about (and helped me select) the adapter that I would need.

Can't help you with the resolution question (though I'm pretty sure that we all agree 1600x1200 is perfect for 4 tables).
Old 03-14-2005, 04:06 PM

You may need to google your current video card as there are different types. Mine is a AGP x 8 or somthing. I ended up getting a radion 9550se which was cheap but works fine for multitabling.