Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2005, 08:30 AM

Default Huge hand flop play

Enormous flop... I checked flop and turn hoping to get someone to bite... should I have bet it or just let it develop?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (9 handed) converter

Button (t1520)
Hero (t1680)
BB (t1270)
UTG (t1745)
UTG+1 (t1300)
MP1 (t1460)
MP2 (t1590)
MP3 (t1465)
CO (t1470)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls t20, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls t20, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t80) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG checks, MP1 checks.

Turn: (t80) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG checks, MP1 checks.

River: (t80) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t40</font>, BB folds, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to t160</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t400</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to t880</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t2020</font>, MP1 calls t560 (All-In).

Final Pot: t3540
Old 10-25-2005, 08:32 AM

Default Re: Huge hand flop play

Whatever you did, it worked. Nice riveraction.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:32 AM

I would usually bet this flop, because people won't buy you have quads or even a 5 if you bet, and will call with their pairs (sometimes) or Kx (almost always). Then you can feign as if you were the one with the pair, and act scared of the big overcard.

YMMV though.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:33 AM

I would not bet, wait for someone to get a hand. It turned out good right so what's your problem?
Old 10-25-2005, 08:45 AM

I would've made a small bet on the turn, like 40, for many reasons.
1. Lots of possible flush and straight draws. You obviously don't want to chase them out, but you don't want them to get it for free either, cuz if they don't hit on the river you won't get any money. The time to bleed them a little is before the river. Clubs, hearts, qj, j9, aj will all pay off a small turn bet.
2. It'll make it look like you're on a draw, so if anyone has anything by the turn, they'll raise you. Also, if the river is a blank, a bet by you might look like a bluff and that might get raised.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:11 AM

I'd bet the flop on a board like this... if someone has a K, id rather be leading out as I get to set the bet size. Check calling and check raising the flop will both scare them off. The other factor leading me to bet this flop is the flush draw. If someone has that, once again I want to be betting the max possible amount they will call.

Checking to the river hoping for that big score will work occasionally, but in general I don't like it. One of the problems is that often the button bluffs at the pot on the flop after nobody shows interest in it, ruining your plan.

If the flop were T55 rainbow, then I'd check. There's no draw to be calling me and there are a lot of overcards people could hit and then pay me off.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:21 AM

I completely agree here Chris.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:17 PM

Thanks everybody, really appreciate it.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd bet the flop on a board like this... if someone has a K, id rather be leading out as I get to set the bet size. Check calling and check raising the flop will both scare them off. The other factor leading me to bet this flop is the flush draw. If someone has that, once again I want to be betting the max possible amount they will call.

Checking to the river hoping for that big score will work occasionally, but in general I don't like it. One of the problems is that often the button bluffs at the pot on the flop after nobody shows interest in it, ruining your plan.

If the flop were T55 rainbow, then I'd check. There's no draw to be calling me and there are a lot of overcards people could hit and then pay me off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very well put.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd bet the flop

[/ QUOTE ]

I like it. How much?