Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2005, 12:48 AM

Default maybe this is a dumb Q

I am certainly new to stud though i have been making a killing at the .5 1$ tables on party. I just have a simple question. Part of my strategy is to fold (unless i have a strong draw going) when i cannot beat my opponents board. just wondering how some of the better players played these situations. i see a lot of weak players calling down someone with a bigger pair and frequently making their hands and still losing 9like to two bigger pair). Am i playing this right?
Old 05-22-2005, 12:55 AM

Default Re: maybe this is a dumb Q

In short: yes. If someone has an obvious pair of K's, like if he raises with a K up from early position or something, and you have queens, you should fold. The situations you talked about it what makes the low limit tables profitable.
Old 05-22-2005, 01:16 AM

yes they are quite profitable. it seems though that the .5 1 are better than the 1-2, in that you can make more money with less risk. what is the next step in trms of moving up, any suggestions on how good i should get b4 doing so. To be honest right now i feel like i am absolutely crushing the low game. my win rate must be like 20bb/100. i know that sounds ridiculous, but believe me these guys reaally suck. i have been using a really aggressive style and playing about 35-60% of the hands. The reason so many is, 1. beacuse the opponents are super loose, and 2. the ante compared with later bets is so high. any feedback greatly appreciated. thanks
Old 05-22-2005, 01:29 AM

20BB/100 is not sustainable! People wouldn't play 3/6 if they could beat the .5/1 games for 20 bucks an hour! You may be on an upswing. Playing 1/3 to 3/5 is too much if you ask me, even with the high ante. You don't need to adjust that much to your opponents. If anything I may play tighter because your hand has to hold up against alot more hands.
Old 05-22-2005, 01:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i have been using a really aggressive style and playing about 35-60% of the hands

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a really broad range. I think 35% may be ok for that game, but 60% is just way way too many.

In terms of moving up I think your best bet is to just occassionally take shots at larger games and play them more frequently as you become more comfortable. Just make sure if you take a shot at 3/6 or something you wont be devistated by losing $150 in a session. Also adjust your play for the game structure, for example in the party 5/10 you gain a lot by playing tight.

oh and 20bb/100 is not sustainable so keep that in mind when taking a shot a bigger games.
Old 05-22-2005, 01:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
To be honest right now i feel like i am absolutely crushing the low game. my win rate must be like 20bb/100. i know that sounds ridiculous, but believe me these guys reaally suck. i have been using a really aggressive style and playing about 35-60% of the hands. The reason so many is, 1. beacuse the opponents are super loose, and 2. the ante compared with later bets is so high.

[/ QUOTE ]

of course, 20BB/100 is unsustainable, but i think 10 might be possible at the 1/2 hi-lo on party. over about 15k hands there my winrate was over 7BB/100... not at straight high, though. the problem with trying to beat the .50/1 for a high winrate is this: the high ante makes loose player's terrible play closer to optimum than it would be in a low ante game, and the big pots reward gambling-type players.

35-60% is a huge range, but even for the party .50/1 with the .25c ante, 35% is still way too high. if i were to play a game with such a nutty ante, i'd probably be seeing 30% at the absolute most. and yes, the players are terrible, but they're terrible at 1/2 also, and only marginally better at 3/6.

IMO, there is only one feasable way to play a crazy gambling type game like the party .50/1- you've gotta gambool it up yourself, hopefully getting your money in the pot when you have more equity than your opponents. this will lead to huge variance and wild swings, which, i imagine, is why you've observed such a high winrate.

you should move up to 1/2 as soon as your bankroll permits it. i believe that 150 BB is probably enough for that limit, especially if you mix in some hi-lo, which should carry less variance.

but, the very first thing you should do is get a pokerstars account (if you don't have one yet) and play in the 10$ 2+2 hi-lo SnG tommorow at noon PST. also, the micro limit games on stars have a very low ante structure and much better players than party. this may be a good place for you to test your skills against some marginally competent players without having to go up to 3/6 or higher to find them. if you don't want to deposit, send bholdr $10 on party, and i'll send you the $11 you need to enter the tourney on stars. pm me.

GL, and welcome to the stud forum.
Old 05-22-2005, 01:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]

you should move up to 1/2 as soon as your bankroll permits it. i believe that 150 BB is probably enough for that limit, especially if you mix in some hi-lo, which should carry less variance.

but, the very first thing you should do is get a pokerstars account (if you don't have one yet) and play in the 10$ 2+2 hi-lo SnG tommorow at noon PST.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shameless Plug! You guys are lucky I can't play. Noone can take the Italian Stallion. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-22-2005, 03:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Shameless Plug! You guys are lucky I can't play. Noone can take the Italian Stallion.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, yeah... i know you're ducking us.... (actually i am a total fish in that tourney compared to some of the better players) [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-22-2005, 10:10 AM

1.) Folding when you can't beat them showing is a good rule to follow.

2.) The .5/1 game is the wildest game on party poker. You are crushing the game, and are most likely better than the game, but this game can be a lot more challenging than you are experiencing.. Just remember, your opponents aren't trying to miss there draws..

3.) If your bankroll permits it, play 3/6, or 5/10. The other games are kind of silly.
Old 05-22-2005, 10:18 AM

i usually keep about 600 in my account to play 2-4 holdem. i know i should keep more in there as i have just learned from going into a short situation. how much do you think is ample to play in the 3-6 or 5-10 stud game? about a G? also how are the players? im assuming much tighter than the smaller limits. im afraid that when i jump up ill be outplayed. although i would be surprised to be run over, i feel im good enough to atleast not get ruled. is there any general advice you can give on these middle limits? thanks a bunch. oh yeah and how do you guys keep track of your winnings and stats? tracker doesnt work for stud right? Augie