Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2005, 04:07 PM

Default Natural Evolution?

So I'm in a bit of a quandary.

The more I've read, the more my game has changed.

In the beginning (post calling station), I read the Limit and No Limit parts of Super System and Hold'Em Poker and I focused on learning how each person at the table played and playing within the group 1-4 hands. I was at the point where when I left; I could categorize each and every player. I played in a weekly home tourney and every blue moon at a B&M.

I then found 2+2 and read Hold'Em for Advanced Players and the Theory of Poker. I started focusing on reading hands and while my categorization of people lessened, I was able to call most people's hands before they showed them. I started to think about pot odds and check raises, etc. At this time, I went from a blue moon B&M player to once a week or so. I had a vacation and played about 10K hands online, breaking about even. I won the home tourney for the first time and was feeling good. My B&M play became more regular (once or twice a week) and I was doing OK.

And then the downswing hit.
Thanks to those who posted about theirs before me and replied to my post.
Together we can help each other get through the bad times.

And then I got a great early Christmas present: Small Stakes Hold'Em (Thanks Adrian!!!).

I read the book and decided it was time to try playing again. I had found a couple of leaks in my game and finally understood implied odds. I learned about reverse domination and protecting a hand. And I learned to better control tilt. I've gone back to regularly playing at a B&M and I'm doing much better (I don't really enjoy online, though I may try it again just to see how I will do).

But a funny thing has happened. My categorization and hand reading skills have lessened. I'm so focused on what hands to play preflop and ensuring that I play better post flop that I'm not able to focus on everything else going on.

Is this expected? That some skills lessen as I focus on other areas and that once I get all my skills to the same level, I'll be able to use all of them at the same time?
Old 01-11-2005, 04:27 PM

Default Re: Natural Evolution?

[ QUOTE ]
I'm so focused on what hands to play preflop and ensuring that I play better post flop that I'm not able to focus on everything else going on.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think more time and experience will fix up. Kinda like riding a bike. At first you're so concerned with balancing and pedaling that you don't look where you're going