Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2005, 11:53 AM

Default 100 NL... I decide to make a move.

Ok, Villain in this hand is about 55/20 after 200 or 300 hands. Decent post flop agression, however he can fold. Pretty scary board by anyone's standards. I min-raised the flop to get a free card on the turn if possible, or worst case not face a pot sized turn bet. I think my queen might be good if the heart hits. When the second 7 hit the board it seemed like perfect opportunity to semi-bluff at this pot, my flop action had to look like top pair, maybe a flush draw, maybe a made flush. I think the big bet can make post reasonable hands fold here including a flush draw, or an overpair against a moderately decent opponent which he was. Converter is messed up so I'll edit it a bit.

Party Poker (6 max, 3 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold SB raises to 4, hero calls</font>.

Flop:($10) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">SB bets 5, Hero raises to 10, SB raises to 15, hero calls.(2 players)</font>

Turn: ($35) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)SB bets $6, hero raises to $40</font>
Old 07-12-2005, 11:55 AM

Default Re: 100 NL... I decide to make a move.

This villain is not decent at all.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:58 AM

i think opponent has made flush or a better draw than you do. I really don't like this line against your choice of opponent.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:05 PM

This hand played out really weird. Do you have any idea what the min raise preflop means? Also, on the flop you raised too little and on the turn you raised too much. If he is trying to sucker you in with a monster he has done so. I think a raise to around 30 is much better if you decide to raise.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:31 PM

he raises preflop a lot I know, but he is relatively reasonable post flop. That's all I can tell you, but that is the read I had. I didn't see him risking too many chips on scary boards with marginal hands all night, and I've played with him for 3 hours.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:34 PM

He bet half pot on flop and then min re-raised. He then bet less than 1/5 pot on the turn. He is not decent postflop.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:41 PM

good point, maybe I should reword that to say cautious/weaktight post flop.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:51 PM

If he knows this and knows you know this, he could easily call with an overpair with a single heart in it. Also, after planning an extensive amount of time with you.. would he think you would call preflop with any hand with a 7 in it? Would you raise the flop with made flush/top pair here? I certainly wouldn't.

You plan to check behind unimproved on the river? What do you regard as improvement?
Old 07-12-2005, 02:02 PM

Any heart I regard as improvement. I check behind picking up a queen or ten because I think he has an overpair if he calls the 40. I would play a flopped flush EXACTLY this way if it didn't have the ace in it. I'd risk him catching a heart on the turn my not going nuts on the flop so that I can make a much bigger turn bet and still be around pot sized. I want it to be unprofitable for him to chase if he thinks I have trips or a flush, which is why I made the big bet.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:04 PM

Looks to me like he has the nuts flush or he really really sucks. Any other hand and he should re-raise more on the flop.