Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2005, 12:21 PM

Default large swings in play

I am experiencing large swings in my play. I have read the Hold Em for Advanced Players book and feel I have a good grasp on how to play solid hold em, however I seem to run into these drastic swings of play. For example, I will play 1/2 tables on PP and make about $75 in an hour session, and then the next time is sit down at a table I will get a lot of second best hands. I feel like I go through these swings of brilliant play and then horrible play. Any suggestions?
Old 03-30-2005, 12:32 PM

Default Re: large swings in play

Don't count on HPFAP to beat a 1/2 game. There may be some games it works for, but SSH is definetly a better book for beating a 1/2 game.

Besides that, just make sure you're staying on top of your game, and keep putting in the hands, it'll turn around. If you're playing in loose games, sometimes the swings get bad, but if you're a favorite in enough big pots it'll go your way.
Old 03-30-2005, 12:38 PM

welcome...

first off, short term results dont mean much, you find out if you are a winning player after thousands and thousands of hands. short term swings are a part of the game.

also, be wary of thinking you have a good grasp on anything, there is always something you can do to better your game. try posting some hhs in the micros forum and im sure 2+2ers will help you out with your game.

also tiltaholic posted a link to this old thread that i think applies. gl

Running bad or playing badly?
Old 03-30-2005, 01:18 PM

Along with what I previously wrote....
I guess I see an period of time that I have optimal play and optimal profit gains. When I play past that point things start to go downhill and I can't seem to turn things around. Could this be because I have not developed the mental stamina some of you more exeperience players have? What are some ways I can help improve my focus and mental freshness while playing?
Old 03-30-2005, 02:37 PM

Read the last post of this thread I just came across in the probability forum...

Probability

you will see that short term results, or even results over 50k hands, don't really mean that much