Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2005, 10:17 PM

Default i dropped a quarter

shorthanded (6way) 5/5, villain is on your direct right and has been playing crazily. but very lucky and has 3k+. think stats of 40/30, and his raises have been to 35 to 50. (75 once, no idea what that ment, assume it was a big hand) I have around 2k. anyway...

folded to him on co, he opens to 40, i have XX and call / reraise?

ok, seems like a sortof weird question, but in my transition from online to live i've had too many of these situations where i just fold so much, i have no idea what hand range i should be reraising or cold calling. generally i've tightened up (and truly not gotten cards to fight back!) but i feel like a sap when the same dude shows trash hand after trash hand.

so! any ideas?
Old 09-11-2005, 10:19 PM

Default Re: i dropped a quarter

how does he play postflop?
Old 09-11-2005, 10:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how does he play postflop?

[/ QUOTE ]

ooh, sorry should've mentioned that!!! just very aggressive, overbet a bit as well. (like if he just limped, and pot ws 15, would throw in 40)
Old 09-11-2005, 10:34 PM

Reraise the big 5 hands or so. Call with anything else remotely playable.
Old 09-11-2005, 10:24 PM

I probably reraise any pair AK AQ AJs. Sometimes suited connectors depending on how he plays postflop. I'm not a huge fan of flat calling vs steals.
Old 09-11-2005, 10:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I probably reraise any pair AK AQ AJs. Sometimes suited connectors depending on how he plays postflop. I'm not a huge fan of flat calling vs steals.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im a little upset by my play, like... he opens for 50, i make it 150 (???) with 88 (8spades)

comes 9 7 3 all spades he leads in 150, i call not sure if i have best hand or a draw or he has nothing yadda yadda...

turn is a blank, he bets small again, (literally maybe just 100) I raised to 500 or so, he minre-raised me, I folded...

honestly I was playing postflop so insecurely because of preflop. at the time I was thinking "how did I get involved like this?"

but it's good to know you'd reraise 88 here too...
Old 09-11-2005, 11:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Im a little upset by my play, like... he opens for 50, i make it 150 (???) with 88 (8spades)

comes 9 7 3 all spades he leads in 150, i call not sure if i have best hand or a draw or he has nothing yadda yadda...

turn is a blank, he bets small again, (literally maybe just 100) I raised to 500 or so, he minre-raised me, I folded...

honestly I was playing postflop so insecurely because of preflop. at the time I was thinking "how did I get involved like this?"

but it's good to know you'd reraise 88 here too...

[/ QUOTE ]

I know it's just one example, but in this hand, vs. a guy playing the way villain is, I defintely repop preflop some of the time w/ 88 here, and I pump it up big on the flop, too, to like 500 or so, and probably shut down if he's still around after that.

In general, though, guys like this aren't going anywhere preflop; they're calling your raises w/ any two playable, so repopping preflop without the goods could get costly.

Like you, I have vastly more experience playing online than live, and during my first few extended sessions sitting in the Foxwoods 5-5 game (which plays suuuuper deep), I felt like I was folding way more than I usually do. If you think about it, though, you're probably getting 1/4 as many hands per hour as you do on one online table, let alone in comparison to the number of hands you're seeing while multitabling, so there's a good reason for feeling this way. It just takes that much more patience to play a good TAG game live than it does online . . .

As long as you're reasonably deep, and have position on this guy, I'd call preflop w/ any two playable, and maybe plan on calling a bit more postflop than you're accustomed to. Reraise w/ the goods, and try to let him make mistakes in big pots . . .
Old 09-11-2005, 11:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and I pump it up big on the flop, too, to like 500 or so, and probably shut down if he's still around after that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, what i should've done.

[ QUOTE ]
As long as you're reasonably deep, and have position on this guy, I'd call preflop w/ any two playable, and maybe plan on calling a bit more postflop than you're accustomed to. Reraise w/ the goods, and try to let him make mistakes in big pots . . .

[/ QUOTE ]

i think thats the key. we're pretty deep, why am i spending so much effort to win the 7 or 8 or 10 bbs he's letting go pf.

me reraising a little bit weaker just left me in such weird spots postflop.
Old 09-11-2005, 11:25 PM

I forgot this was 6max. Obviously my plan doesn't work as well then. Just be patient.
Old 09-11-2005, 11:45 PM

I like to play super-fast against very aggressive players. Just pour money in the pot as quickly as possible when I have a good hand.