Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2005, 10:41 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default why might this be happening?

for the past 2 weeks my internet has been intermittantly cutting off when I'm playing. I've gotten timed out with big hands like top 2 on the river in a $500 pot. I can't play a decent session because I get so frustrated being timed out so much. I play 8 tables but I've played 2 before and I still get disconnected

the weird thing is web pages are loading fine, and I'm now using my roommate's connection (it's school internet) which is still giving me problems. I've connected straight to the wall and through my router. this is all leading me to think that there's something going on with my computer. the only programs I run when I play are poker tracker and my HUD

I have norton anti-virus, pestpatrol, and ad-aware and use them. I have no firewall though

should I reformat? should I buy a firewall? it really sucks not being able to play
Old 09-27-2005, 11:35 PM

Default Re: why might this be happening?

how old is the pc/laptop?
do you have support available for it still?
have you tried upgrading the drivers for the NIC?

I cant think of it off hand but there is a program out there that will test your connectivity. Ill be back in the AM with this.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:43 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

I'm using a desktop. I bought it in January. I don't think I even purchased support for it.

I dont know what upgrading the drivers for the NIC means, so I guess not. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:54 AM

You haven't done enough to isolate the problem to the PC rather than the connection yet (assuming your roommate's connection and your own eventually lead to the same place?). Try running the poker software on your roommate's PC, or running your PC on a completely separate connection (friend's house etc).
Old 09-28-2005, 05:13 AM

NIC - network interface card.

my advice :

check your cables.

gl
Old 09-28-2005, 12:55 PM

what do you mean check the cables? maybe I'll use another cable to see if it works better?
Old 09-28-2005, 01:01 PM

I had a similar problem and I had to reformat. Not saying you are going to have to, but it has been great for me. Also you need to get a firewall. That is the reason I had to reformat in the first place. Are you running XP?
Old 09-28-2005, 05:47 PM

I smell virus and/or spyware. Just my two cents...
Old 09-30-2005, 01:17 PM

This happens from time to time when I play. The connection status on all my tables drops from excellent to terrible and I start timing out. Funny thing is, nothing else is affected. Web pages load fine, my downloads are still trucking, and AIM works. It's happened both at school and at home, before my format and after my format.