Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2005, 12:45 PM

Default list of day 1 busts more impressive than who\'s left?

maybe its just me but the list of top players busting out on their very first day seems surprising.

obviously when you narrow a field by 66% many will bustout, including star players, but geez i thought the likes of some of these superstars there would be a higher percantage making it farther...
Old 07-11-2005, 12:53 PM

Default Re: list of day 1 busts more impressive than who\'s left?

I'd think the opposite. Early on there is going to be lots of random play by many unknowns. The top players don't really have an edge here as they don't know the people they are playing and some of the unknowns they are facing might play in unpredictable ways. Once they get past the initial crazyness, however, the skill and experience of the pros really come in to play. They have been there before, they know what to expect and how to prepare, and they might have gotten some reads on some of the previously unknowns. In addition the more seasoned players are used to playing poker seven days in a row and won't fade as fast as some of the weekend warrior types.

Swede
Old 07-11-2005, 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd think the opposite. Early on there is going to be lots of random play by many unknowns. The top players don't really have an edge here as they don't know the people they are playing and some of the unknowns they are facing might play in unpredictable ways. Once they get past the initial crazyness, however, the skill and experience of the pros really come in to play. They have been there before, they know what to expect and how to prepare, and they might have gotten some reads on some of the previously unknowns. In addition the more seasoned players are used to playing poker seven days in a row and won't fade as fast as some of the weekend warrior types.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, don't you know that playing against internet donkeys is harder than playing against seasoned pros?
Old 07-11-2005, 12:58 PM

Yeah, don't you know that playing against internet donkeys is harder than playing against seasoned pros

It is easier against the pros when trying to calculate possible hand ranges in important pots.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:23 PM

My point is that there are SOOO many internet donkeys at the early stages, unpredictable players and suck-outs a plenty. With such a large field you need to have luck as well as skill, especially early on.

Swede
Old 07-11-2005, 02:53 PM

A suckout is still a suckout, and if you're at the receiving end of one it means you had the best hand, which is pretty much what you can hope for.

I don't think a superb strat would include passing on risky situations when you likely have the best hand.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
obviously when you narrow a field by 66% many will bustout...

[/ QUOTE ]

You hit the nail on the head right here. If you're only going to play poker for fifteen hours and have lots of players throw chips all over the place, you need luck to survive, no matter how good you are.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:53 PM

yes but im just surprised at how many top ranked names didnt get out of day one.

daniel N
Phil H
Annie Duke
Barry G
Doyle
Jen Harman
Johnnie chan
Gus hansen (actually i think he was day 2)
Jesus ferguson
carlos mortenson

actually i think every single former champ went out day 1, save for raymer.