Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2005, 10:28 AM

Default Text Of Bertrand Russell\'s Essay, \"Why I Am Not A Christian\"

Great read so far; I'm about 1/4 of the way through it at the moment.

http://nowscape.com/atheism/Russell_..._Christian.htm
Old 01-11-2005, 02:26 PM

Default Re: Text Of Bertrand Russell\'s Essay, \"Why I Am Not A Christian\"

I have read this essay a few times, long ago and in the recent past, and still think the following one of the most lucid and important statements it contains [among many]:

[ QUOTE ]
Religion is based, I think, primarily and mainly upon fear. It is partly the terror of the unknown and partly, as I have said, the wish to feel that you have a kind of elder brother who will stand by you in all your troubles and disputes. Fear is the basis of the whole thing -- fear of the mysterious, fear of defeat, fear of death. Fear is the parent of cruelty, and therefore it is no wonder if cruelty and religion have gone hand in hand. It is because fear is at the basis of those two things.

[/ QUOTE ]

-Zeno
Old 01-11-2005, 05:49 PM

I've read this in the past and enjoyed reading it again.

How do true believers deal with the fact that that Jesus said that his second coming would be during the lifetimes of his contemporaries? Doesn't this hurt Jesus' credibility in any way?

Was Jesus a bluffer?
Old 01-11-2005, 06:22 PM

I don't believe Christ ever said it would be during their lifetime.

He stated that he would come "soon."
Old 01-11-2005, 09:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Great read so far; I'm about 1/4 of the way through it at the moment.

http://nowscape.com/atheism/Russell_..._Christian.htm

[/ QUOTE ]

MMMMMM,

Have you ever read Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis? Would be a nice counterbalance to Russell's essay.
Old 01-12-2005, 12:23 AM

No, I haven't. I'll see if it is on the web.

One thing Russell seems to have done is attack some of the mythological bases (as well as inconsistencies) in standard Christian dogma. I don't feel like all the dogma is the essence of the spirit of Christianity, however--and I think the spirit of it is what is more important (Russell appears to think so too, in a way).
Old 01-12-2005, 03:38 AM

In fact Jesus was anti-Dogmatic so if it is an arguement based on inconsistent dogma that not only would be painfully off the mark but ironically so. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-12-2005, 04:41 AM

I read about 100 pages of this book some 30 years ago and found it so silly I haven't bothered with it since. He shoulda stuck to math and logic at which he was very good.

His opinion about religion being based on fear, assuming he isn't talking about "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom" concept, is absurd, palpably, obviously so.

[ QUOTE ]

It is partly the terror of the unknown and partly, as I have said, the wish to feel that you have a kind of elder brother who will stand by you in all your troubles and disputes.

[/ QUOTE ]

This one quote is self-contradictory. If religion is based on fear, what does feeling you have a kind of elder brother have to do with it. That is the exact opposite emotion of fear. Come on Russell, really.

But the real kicker is it's an irrelevant argument anyway. The question is whether it's true. If I tell you there's a man-eating lion in the next room, and you feel fear so you don't go in, are you wrong for not going in? Shouldn't the issue be whether or not there's a lion?

Fear as such is not a bad thing. It can save your life. Even your soul.

Bring on some more Russell - it's shooting fish in a barrel.
Old 01-12-2005, 05:06 AM

But the real kicker is it's an irrelevant argument anyway. The question is whether it's true.

Obviously, but I think he's going on the assumption it's not true when he critiques against the reasons why people believe.

In other words, not only are the baseless superstitions untrue, but here's some more reasons why the organizations and memes AROUND those baseless supersitions are also objectionable.

On of those reasons is that fear is a large part of the motivation. I agree completely, having experienced it up close myself.

natedogg
Old 01-12-2005, 05:24 AM

It has occured to me Russell may have meant something different in the quote than what I at first understood. Perhaps he meant that Christians are afraid (of something), and so turn to God as an elder brother. If so, then he isn't technically self-contradictory.

Nor is he necessarily wrong. Many become Christians because they fear the judgment of God - actually, most or even all have this as a primary motivation. So then the question again becomes is it true.

The elder brother part is not wrong either. Jesus was the first-born (referring to the resurrection) of many brethren, and Christians may think of Him as a brother. Is this supposed to be evil?

I've never understood the fear argument as making any valid point in itself. The overall logic (if it exists) escapes me.