Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2005, 08:12 AM

Default Why I don\'t like AK

Ok, AK sooted looks so nice and I win a lot with it...however, what can i do when situations like this happen? Did i play it correctly...I think i probably should have bet a little stronger on the turn (1/2 pot?) and then fold to raise?
No real reads on villain, he just sat recently but seems a bit tricky.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (7 handed) converter

Hero ($219.30)
MP2 ($50)
CO ($226.60)
Button ($151.35)
SB ($72.30)
BB ($47.55)
UTG ($190)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $8</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls $8, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>.

Flop: ($19) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $16</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $32</font>, Hero calls $16.

Turn: ($83) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $30</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $80</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $193
Old 10-17-2005, 08:14 AM

Default Re: Why I don\'t like AK

I like your line.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:20 AM

The thing about min-raises is IMO - they are too small in general to be a possible bluff so when you see one it usualy represents the bettor trying to build a pot with a strong made hand.

His likely holdings are KK AA 77 maybe 33. AK is an outside chance for a tie. I fold to the flop raise. I also check/fold the turn if I had decided to call on the flop.

Dont go bust with TPTK!
Old 10-17-2005, 08:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The thing about min-raises is IMO - they are too small in general to be a possible bluff so when you see one it usualy represents the bettor trying to build a pot with a strong made hand.

His likely holdings are KK AA 77 maybe 33. AK is an outside chance for a tie. I fold to the flop raise. I also check/fold the turn if I had decided to call on the flop.

Dont go bust with TPTK!

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the flop-call is ok because of the BD Flushdraw, otherwise a fold might be in order. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 10-17-2005, 08:24 AM

Why? What do you think villain is min-raising with that hero beats?

I just wondered what your reasoning for this line would be?
Old 10-17-2005, 08:26 AM

Wow you were quick to respond - so ignore my other post!

Is a BD flush draw really worth the call? I never give any consideration to weak draws in this spot. That may be my mistake.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:27 AM

Its possible he could have hit the King too. Maybe he has KQ or AK but if he has KQ he has now hit 2 pair and AK you only tie but i very much doubt you are ahead given the way the betting has gone so folding is the right play

I dont think i would have bet the turn though
Old 10-17-2005, 08:28 AM

I think Hero lost the minimum (except folding to the flopraise) the times he is beat. If villian for example has the [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]-draw he most likely will just call the $30 on the turn.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow you were quick to respond - so ignore my other post!

Is a BD flush draw really worth the call? I never give any consideration to weak draws in this spot. That may be my mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]
Already answer the other post [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] , hopes it's OK.

I don't know actually but that's the feeling I got for this hand because of stacksizes etc.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:31 AM

BDFD...mmmmmmmmmm
that's mainly the reason I called the flop, however, (opponent-dependant), you guys don't usually call this flop raise? I think that at least 25% of the time opponent has a AK/worse K, lower pp and is getting tricky, flush draw, air...usually leading the turn after calling a flop raise will shut down most of these hands that AK is beating (not KQ in this situation which i think is very possible for villain) but i think folding this flop is extremely weak/tight