Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2005, 05:14 PM

Default bankroll vs limit question

It seems to be well accepted that 300BB is a good bankroll to withstand swings. Recently I have began to proportion my tables to reflect this ratio: in other words -

when my BR is $300, I am playing four tables of .50/1.00. When I hit $375, I am adding one $1/$2 table to the mix, at $450 I would be playing two 1/2's and two .5/1's, and so on.

Is this a mathmatically valid approach? or should I be waiting until BR=600 to go to 1/2?
Old 10-16-2005, 05:34 PM

Default Re: bankroll vs limit question

when to move up isn't allways a question of bankroll. Mathmatically your ideas make sense. But comfort level has something to do with it as well. I have 600 right now and am 2 tabling .50/1 working on my game and tweaking. I could move up and from times I've played I know I could suceed at 1/2 but I want to work on a few things first and would rather do it cheaper. It also depends on how much of your poker goes to your livelyhood. If it is your only job I would suggest 400 BB + some savings so a bad run doesn't deplete your whole roll. For me it is just play money so I go with the 300 rule. The playing 2 tables at 1 limit and 1 table at the next is a good idea that I've heard from many on this board so that you are not paying attention to the cost and keep playing the same game at the next level. If you are comfortable then your idea mathmatically is pretty sound but don't base your limit solely on how big your BR is.
Old 10-16-2005, 06:27 PM

Default Re: bankroll vs limit question

At the level you are at now (.5/1) your roll is probably growing a lot faster than your skill level. If you aren't bonus whoring, you should be. 1/2 is not a tough game. It's tighter than .5/1 and the 'padding' in the pots is not there, but it is a very beatable game. (This has been discussed to death, over and over again in micros.)

If you feel your game is ready to move up, move up. Get to $400, and take a $100 shot at 1/2. My first shot was just like this. The game moves slowly with 1 table open, but you are able to make detailed reads on you opponents. This is another skill you will need as you move up, so why not work on it now? If you dump the $100, drop back to .5/1 and beat the snot out of it till you are ready to take another shot. You can continue to do this until you don't have to drop down again and you are at the new level for good (till you are ready to move up again).