Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2005, 01:19 AM

Default Got my ass handed to me...

...by one of the worst players I've come in contact with. This guy is awful, limps every 2 suited cards, never raises any hand except pocket AA. Calls to every river with ANY pair and many times just A high.

Now, this guy(who I absolutely know I am a superior poker player to) just spent the last 2 hours taking 40BB's from me at a 6-max game. I feel like putting my head through a wall. Any advice for a bad beat, make-me-cry story?
Old 08-10-2005, 04:54 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand
Default Re: Got my ass handed to me...

It's even funner when it's a table full of these types of players and they all hand you your ass. Especially for weeks at a time.

b
Old 08-10-2005, 10:01 AM

My advice is don't feel it is psychologically neceassary to try to push this guy around with bluffs and semi-bluffs since you know they won't work. Just play good hands and extract the maximum when you have a good hand post-flop, and be prepared to value bet thinner than you would with good players since he is such a calling station. And as to preflop play, don't try to isolate him with two high cards since you know you will have to hit to win. If he is not raising preflop with big pairs/cards under AA, he is giving you a cheap shot at his money with hands like A3s that you wouldn't ususally play against a raise, plus he is probably giving too many free cards post-flop which you should just take instead of attempting a semi-bluff which won't work because it doesn't have two ways to win versus a calling station. All of the above assumes he is a passive calling station and not a lag.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:18 AM

I was at a shorthanded 30/60 table yesterday in which EVERY PLAYER OPEN-LIMPED. That is, at least 60-70% of the time. It was like these idiots clicked on the wrong limit, they thought they were playing 3/6. And just horrible, horrible hands, too. And their poor play carried over postflop -- coldcalling on the flop with bottom pair, all that nonsense.

I barely made a dime off of them. I've never been so damned card dead . . . and for the most part these aren't guys you can bluff. Just gotta value-bet, and when you have no value . . . ugh. Very frustrating! It was like someone left the bank open on Sunday but I couldn't get up the damned steps.

Not quite the same situation, as I didn't actually lose $$ at the table, but still . . . very frustrating.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:30 AM

Can I just say that "I got my ass handed to me" is one of my favorite expressions?

Along with the corollory - "I'm gonna wear your ass for a hat"
Old 08-10-2005, 07:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's even funner when it's a table full of these types of players and they all hand you your ass. Especially for weeks at a time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo! The real deal. That's when you become a player.

Original poster: stop playing limit hold'em and check into the NL games for a while.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My advice is don't feel it is psychologically neceassary to try to push this guy around with bluffs and semi-bluffs since you know they won't work. Just play good hands and extract the maximum when you have a good hand post-flop, and be prepared to value bet thinner than you would with good players since he is such a calling station. And as to preflop play, don't try to isolate him with two high cards since you know you will have to hit to win. If he is not raising preflop with big pairs/cards under AA, he is giving you a cheap shot at his money with hands like A3s that you wouldn't ususally play against a raise, plus he is probably giving too many free cards post-flop which you should just take instead of attempting a semi-bluff which won't work because it doesn't have two ways to win versus a calling station. All of the above assumes he is a passive calling station and not a lag.

[/ QUOTE ]

All true, all true... but there is one more factor that is not listed in the analysis above. I call it the mojo factor. Some days you got good mojo and some days bad mojo. I set a 30 BB limit for losses per day. Thats about the loss limit that I START losing my mind. When every sucker bad beats you, when every flop misses. This helps establish a time to stop.

ALSO I feel that when your image is bad players will play differently against you making your decisions harder. They bluff, play tricky, no respect for your raises, you can't bluff. All these factors affect your hourly income by having you make more mistakes from frustration, being bluffed, or missing bluffing opportunities because they are calling down with Q high.

When my image is good because I have been winning I win more, I bluff more successfully, players only raise with the nuts so I make and save more money. My decisions are easy.

I am not supersticius (spelling?) but there are days where you just can't win. So that 30 BB limit lets you know when to stop. There are plenty of days to win again.

Another thing you can do is take a break and choose other tables.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:13 PM

I never leave a table with a guy cold calling 2 bets from UTG with J5s & only raising 2times in 3 hours, with pocket AA.