Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2005, 04:55 PM

Default A Power Play in Stud

Conventional wisdom is Stud says that if a player raises with an ace up, it's likely that he has that hand. So if a man raises with split queens and gets re-raised by a king, he folds. But i took a what if approach and thouht "I can use this idea to my advantage."

So thhrough a randomization process, I take down a huge amount of preflop. One out of every fouro times the aforementioned situation comes up, I re-raise and knock him out.

Also, it adds a good element of unpredictability to my play. Typically, when I actually have the hand, I show it. Then, I show a bluff. This establishes the dominant and unpredictable image that allows you to run a table.

Or, I keep the bluffs under wraps the whole session and just keep raking in the small pots.

Another play I use is devastating against a sophisticated player. He raises with a big card up, then with a random card i re-raise and four bet if nessecary. This puts him in a tough spot. He realizes that you must be rolled up or have buried aces and fold.

Comments?
Old 07-26-2005, 04:56 PM

Default Re: A Power Play in Stud

Sorry for the double post.
Old 07-26-2005, 05:10 PM

Two main things:
First, I don't think you should ever show.

Second, You should not make this play with a naked high card, but rather with a small pair+high kicker or live 3 flush and even then it should only be done on occasion. If you are called you still want to be able to win the hand.
Old 07-26-2005, 05:32 PM

Just for fun, you should run this test on .5/1 on Party [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-26-2005, 08:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just for fun, you should run this test on .5/1 on Party [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

there is 0% chance anyone will give your raise that much thought in that game. With the ante, they are probably correct to chase anyway.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:57 PM

Opponents will catch on to this play. And, depending on what game you are playing, you will get called down anyway. Obviously you want to mix up your play and sometimes represent hands that you do not always have, but even not-so-observant opponents will notice your frequent reraises on third and stop giving them credit.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:00 PM

If I have something good enough to three-bet heads-up with, I'm not going to fold for one more bet. And if I can reason that you have pocket Aces, I can play accordingly. And unfortunately for you if you're bluffing, that means seeing the river more often than not.

Your little ploys might work on the weak-tight, especially if you don't overuse them, but if you get caught with your hand in the cookie jar, you're just going to get called down whether you like it or not.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Opponents will catch on to this play. And, depending on what game you are playing, you will get called down anyway. Obviously you want to mix up your play and sometimes represent hands that you do not always have, but even not-so-observant opponents will notice your frequent reraises on third and stop giving them credit.

[/ QUOTE ]

I use this play very infrequently, and I show whenever I have it.