Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2005, 05:10 AM

Default Interesting hand - Stars $10+1

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (9 handed) converter

CO (t5999)
Button (t3005)
SB (t5172)
BB (t6170)
UTG (t3825)
UTG+1 (t11548)
MP1 (t5240)
Hero (t7975)
MP3 (t2950)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls t200, UTG+1 calls t200, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls t200, MP3 calls t200, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t1300) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t200</font>, BB folds, UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls t200, MP3 calls t200.

Turn: (t1900) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, MP3 checks.

River: (t1900) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets t750</font>, SB folds, Hero calls t750.

Final Pot: t3400

I didn't want to raise the flop because the SB is wild and will likely go all-in. I want to try to make my hand cheaply. Also I have no idea what MP3 will do.

What do you make of this river bet by MP3? Can I call it. I think he would have raised a queen on the flop, or at least bet it on the turn with the double flush draw out there. I can't see him slow-playing trip 10's either because of the draw heavy board.
Am I right often enough to make this call?
Old 07-21-2005, 07:16 AM

Default Re: Interesting hand - Stars $10+1

1.) Raise the flop..

2.) Bet the turn..

3.) If there's still people around, Check-Fold the river.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:56 AM

Very marginal call pre-flop. It's a drawing hand out of position and this many limpers often gets raised pre-flop in which case you'll have to just throw away the hand.

I would consider raising the flop based on what you think of that minimum bet. Sometimes that means monster trying to trap, sometimes it means no clue how to play. But raising has three benefits. It can drive out the player behind you so you now only have to beat one player. It could also buy you a free card on the turn if you want one (if MP3 folds on the flop and SB calls but then checks the turn you can check behind and see if you make your flush). Finally and obviously it can win the hand right then. But calling is not horrible given the odds you're getting. If you were last to act I'd be more comfortable with it but a good player acting behind you would have raised with any two cards to see if he could pick up the pot.

I think I'd prefer betting 750 on the river versus calling 750.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think I'd prefer betting 750 on the river versus calling 750.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see how this could be right? What is he calling/raising with that doesn't have me beat?
At least if I check-call (or fold) I have the chance of getting more money with a hand I beat.

I deliberated over this for a while and I eventually called and he showed J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] for a busted straight/flush draw. I felt pretty smart, but overall was the play pretty stupid?
Old 07-21-2005, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Very marginal call pre-flop. It's a drawing hand out of position and this many limpers often gets raised pre-flop in which case you'll have to just throw away the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

You usually post good advice but I disagree w/ this 100%. There are two limpers already, looks like it will be a multiway pot and hero has 40 BBs. I think a limp here is automatic.