Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2005, 10:48 AM

Default Turn raise the fishy?

Hero is MP, BB is loose-passive.

Pre-Flop: K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
3 folds, Hero raises, 5 folds, BB calls.

Flop: (4.5 SB) J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
BB bets, Hero raises, BB calls

Turn: (4.25 BB) 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
BB bets, Hero raises, BB calls.

River: (8.25 BB) A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
BB bets, Hero calls.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:54 AM

Default Re: Turn raise the fishy?

Those Bet-Calls, sure are odd.

Looks like a very weak player.. I can't even put him on a hand, but he probably flopped a monster, either a straight, two pair or a set of 9s.

The only other thing I can put him on is A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 06-27-2005, 11:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The only other thing I can put him on is A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the turn bet had me thinking at least two pair, I wouldn't think a fish would bet A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] here after my flop raise. This is why I'm thinking of maybe calling down instead of raising the turn?
Old 06-27-2005, 11:10 AM

Is that what he had?

Nah, raise was the correct play there.. and if you believe you had the correct read, you could have folded on the end.

You played it as well as you could have I think. Most newbies will bet out when they make a flush draw, "Because that's what they do on TV."
Old 06-27-2005, 11:13 AM

It is quite possible that I'm weak tight, but I'd slow down when he bet into you on the turn, looks like he might have be playing rope-a-dope.

What was your image at the table? If villan thought you were a LAG, perhaps he was happy to let you bet his hand for him?
Old 06-27-2005, 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you could have folded on the end.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably the right thing to do here, although very hard. I'm still having trouble with the whole "call for one bet on the end when you have a decent hand" concept. I think I still call too much even when most of the time you only have to win a small percentage of the time.
Old 06-27-2005, 11:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hero is MP, BB is loose-passive.

[/ QUOTE ]

A bit worrisome that a loose-passive player out of the big blind plays the flop this aggressively. Though I think you have a reasonable shot to have the best hand. I can only envision that he made a set or two pairs though. The river ace doesn't scare him away from betting the river so he probably doesn't have a king with a worse kicker, unless he paired that worse kicker. K9? KJ? Maybe even something like J9. If he had QT I'd expect him to be much more aggressive on the turn, so two pair or a set seems more likely. Though you never know what people are thinking, he might have TT and is just overplaying it, which isn't really likely being that he's loose-passive and would likely just call down. Betting into a preflop raiser isn't something that I think loose-passives are likely to do. Most of the time you'll have the best hand here, I think you played it as well as possible.
Old 06-27-2005, 11:27 AM

I think the call for one bet at the end theory goes to, if you are constantly laying down hands when you are 90% sure you are beat to just one bet, people will take notice of that and start firing at you when a crazy card (flush) hits the river, knowing that you might fold a good hand to it.

So he did have A-J though? In hindsight, that is the only hand that could possibly make sense with his double "Bet-call."..
Old 06-27-2005, 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Though I think you have a reasonable shot to have the best hand. I can only envision that he made a set or two pairs though. Most of the time you'll have the best hand here, I think you played it as well as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems contradictory. If we are envisioning two pair on the flop, how will I have the best hand most of the time? And why would I raise the turn?
Old 06-27-2005, 11:31 AM

AKo, I lose.