Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What should i do?
just call 2 10.00%
Push hoping to isolate 8 40.00%
Fold 10 50.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-13-2005, 10:05 PM

Default AJo EP

Ok me and my friend are having a big argument on raising ajo first in, in early position...what is everyone's opinion on the type of game this would be profitable...how many players, what kind?
Old 11-13-2005, 11:17 PM

Default Re: AJo EP

You and your friend are wasting your time. In the long run, it doesnt matter whether you raise, call, or fold AJo in EP. The expectation of all 3 options are close enough that it trully doesnt matter what you do. You guys should argue about more important things like what color is better? Green? or Red?
Old 11-13-2005, 11:33 PM

I voted for raise here... but I found out that AJo has an EV of .03 in EP. Starting to think I should just fold it here.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:34 PM

It's actually an interesting question, but fyi, it has been discussed many many times and the majority consensus has swung back and forth several times.

As a side note, I think a good way to spot a newbie or a good way to understand groupthink is when people will respond to questions like this by saying "obviously you should do <whatever answer is fashionable this week>, it's not close at all".
Old 11-13-2005, 11:40 PM

Thanks Bobbyi for the help, hopefully I can bring better topics to the forum next time.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:56 PM

FYI, the book "Small Stakes Hold 'em" (published by two plus two and well liked by many here) recommends raising it in some games and just calling in others. There are some people on these forums who have played a lot of hands online and tracked them in a database (using the "Poktertracker" software product) and made a profit overall by raising AJo in EP 100% of the time. However, this in no way "proves" that it is the right move for all games all the time. Still, the (initially surprising) online results of a lot of players with AJo in EP is what shifted the general standard on these forums from fold to raise.

So there is no single definitive answer, but if you have to pick something, it would probably be raise.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:23 AM

28% SAID FOLD?? OK. I'll limp in with my 56s and smack them silly. This hand needs to raise to destroy SC and small pairs implied odds. (sc = suited connectors..) In a great L.P. game I raise all the time. They'll call down with A-crap and I win a fiiiiiine pot. And they go "nh". I just smile to myself. What a great game.

OH! in a tight(er) game. I'll limp occasionally, but I'll usually raise. If I get reraised by a tight player, I might call down with my top pair (depends..)

--
I forgot to add: Top pair type hands (kt, ak, aj) want to be against few players. Raising aids in lessening the field. limping invites players that will play with cards that will flop BIG if they hit (which also thrive on implied odds......read above)