Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2005, 01:44 PM

Default I raise

Villain here is 53/17/1.7..

Party 5/10 6 handed

fold, I raise K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], fold, fold, SB calls, BB folds.

Flop HU: 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

check, I bet, call

Turn: Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

check, I check

River: J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

bet, I raise.....
Old 07-24-2005, 01:46 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default Re: I raise

you picked a good opponent to do this against
Old 07-24-2005, 02:00 PM

I guess I'm not sure why you wouldn't bet the turn. Seems like this guy would call down with any club and maybe a lot of other stuff.
Old 07-24-2005, 02:01 PM

Perfect.
Old 07-24-2005, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Perfect.

[/ QUOTE ]

This play is fine, although i dont see why we wouldnt just bet the turn. You represent a jack on the flop, so this river raise is quite believeable. That said, you could invest the same 2BB here and fire the turn and river, giving him two oppurtunites to fold. Also, most 5-10 players dont like the fold the river after they have bet it with any piece of the board. I like just firing the the turn and river better, but i dont see anything wrong with this play.
Old 07-24-2005, 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Perfect.

[/ QUOTE ]

This play is fine, although i dont see why we wouldnt just bet the turn. You represent a jack on the flop, so this river raise is quite believeable. That said, you could invest the same 2BB here and fire the turn and river, giving him two oppurtunites to fold. Also, most 5-10 players dont like the fold the river after they have bet it with any piece of the board. I like just firing the the turn and river better, but i dont see anything wrong with this play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Against this type of opponent checking the turn is much better because he'll almost always fire on the river with anything he has, including hands that he would have folded on the turn. Also, these hands he would have folded on the turn will probably make a wtf? call on the river just to see if hero is bullshitting.
Old 07-24-2005, 02:13 PM

Why do we want him to fold? We don't want a fold; we want to collect bets. I'm quite certain that Bob checked the turn figuring he was more likely to extract 2 (or even 1) bets by checking the turn and betting/raising the river.
Old 07-24-2005, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Against this type of opponent checking the turn is much better because he'll almost always fire on the river with anything he has, including hands that he would have folded on the turn. Also, these hands he would have folded on the turn will probably make a wtf? call on the river just to see if hero is bullshitting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not trying to be an ass, but how do you get that from 53/17/1.7 over who knows how many hands?
Old 07-24-2005, 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Perfect.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Justin, i agree with much of your logic here. I think this type of opponent bets the river about 95% of the time. However, i think you will get many more, as you put it, WTF? calls after he has already invested the river than you will is you bet and raise every oppurtunity you have as i advocate. Additionally, the point that he might fold hands to the turn bet which he will now bluff the river with is true, but that isnt neccesarily good for us. If we allow him to hit any pair with his BS hand, or convince him ace high is good, he will showdown. Given the number of bets in the pot, giving yourself the best chance to win the pot is far more important than getting bets so you can re-bluff raise someone IMO.

Gabe
Old 07-24-2005, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Perfect.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Justin, i agree with much of your logic here. I think this type of opponent bets the river about 95% of the time. However, i think you will get many more, as you put it, WTF? calls after he has already invested the river than you will is you bet and raise every oppurtunity you have as i advocate. Additionally, the point that he might fold hands to the turn bet which he will now bluff the river with is true, but that isnt neccesarily good for us. If we allow him to hit any pair with his BS hand, or convince him ace high is good, he will showdown. Given the number of bets in the pot, giving yourself the best chance to win the pot is far more important than getting bets so you can re-bluff raise someone IMO.

Gabe

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're misreading the board. Hero hits the second nut flush on the turn and his hand is invulnerable to anthing other than the A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] or the relatively unlikely rivered full house.