Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2005, 02:04 PM

Default Cap 6th and/or raise River?

My opponent was fairly aggressive, but didn't seem stupid. I thought when I raised him on 6th that I was indicating "I can beat aces up," so I decided to proceed cautiously when he reraised me. Opinions?

7 Card Stud High ($5/$10), Ante $0.50, Bring-In $2 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.30 SB)

Seat 4: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises___calls
Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises

4th Street - (4.70 SB)

Seat 5: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets

5th Street - (3.35 BB)

Seat 5: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises

6th Street - (7.35 BB)

Seat 5: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets___raises
Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises___calls

River - (13.35 BB)

Seat 5: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___bets
Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls

Total pot: (15.35 BB)
Old 11-14-2005, 02:12 PM

Default Re: Cap 6th and/or raise River?

Yeah, when you raise him on 6th you’re saying “I can beat aces up”; and when he 3-bets he says “I’ve got trip aces or better”. So there’s really no question what to do here, is there. You can only call it down.

And fold 3rd.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:23 PM

There was no way I was folding on 3rd street. It was 3-handed, and this guy was pretty aggressive on 3rd street and could have a pretty wide range of hands. A good percentage of the time I have the best hand, and if he does have 8's I may be able to move him off his hand on a later street if neither of us improve.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:06 PM

Very well. But I tell you it’s -EV.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:12 PM

I would fold third. Why do you feel compelled to challenge him now with this medicocre hand. There will be better opportunities. And as you see,y ou got stuck with a medicore hand. This was not a case of you being the bring in and him trying to steal the antes(In that case, go ahead and reraise). Your situation here is different and you are not forced to take a stand.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:36 PM

Why fold? If he has what he's representing, I have a pair with an overcard kicker. I thought my options were calling or raising. Raising is the right play if he doesn't have what he's representing (not unlikely against this player), or if he does and is capable of laying down a pair of 8's later on fearing I have 9's. Also, if I hit hidden trips, I may win a nice pot partially as a result of aggressive betting on previous streets, which incidentally was what happened (he only had aces up).
Old 11-14-2005, 04:44 PM

I'm just suggesting to pick the best places for you. Even three handed, there is opportunity to be selective(you will not be beaten up by the antes at the 5/10)

The hand apparently worked out for you, but over time,with this same setup, it looks to me that this will be a loser. A pair of 2's with a nine kicker, is rarely a good holding, even in the current setup. That's just my opinion.