Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2005, 04:38 PM

Default Flop a set with a flush board HU - Play comments?

Playing $1-$2 NL at the Golden Nugget about a month ago and this hand comes up:

I've got JsJd and I'm close to the button. I make it $15 to go and all but the guy opposite me at the table fold, so now it's HU.

I've got about $250 in front of me in chips, and the guy across the table from me has maybe $100 in chips and a stack of paper.

Flop comes:

2h 6h Jh

Guy across from me checks to me. I've got a set of jacks. I don't want him catching a heart if he happens to have one. I shove all in. He calls, and turns over two small hearts. 2 cards to come with 7 outs and I don't make my filly. I'm broke. (No more hearts came.)

In retrospect, I think shoving all in might not have been the best play, but for a $15 raise that cleared the table out I didn't put him on two hearts (let alone two small hearts.) I would have had to make a large bet on the flop anyway to charge him for a heart draw / protect my hand. Again, in retrospect I think the only hands that were going to call me were hands that were going to beat me but I wanted to win the pot right there.

Did I just get unlucky, or did I play this totally wrong?
Old 08-12-2005, 07:47 PM

Default Re: Flop a set with a flush board HU - Play comments?

You have to actually play some poker when a board like this pops out. Put out a feeler bet around 20-30$ and go from there. You can't just shove all in? Why do that when only a better hand is going to call.

Tears