Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2005, 12:35 PM

Default Quick preflop: getting beaten to the steal.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero ?

Button is 22/4/1.33 through 48 hands.
BB is 5/0/0.0 through 49 hands. No joke. In love with folding.

Button knows what he is doing.
What should my min requirements be for jumping into the fray against this guy? Or should I look to change seats?
Old 12-06-2005, 12:45 PM

Default Re: Quick preflop: getting beaten to the steal.

If he's going after this guys blind this much I'd pop him.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:50 PM

I wouldn't say to necessarily change seats if the rest of the table is soft. If the button knows what he is doing, you are in a good spot, directly on his left. Folding K8 offsuit is an easy fold here against a solid player when you are out of position.

I would probably play with: any pocket pair, AKs through ATs, AK through AT, KQs, KQ, KJs, KJ, QJs, JTs. I may be playing a little too tight here, but it warrants mentioning that you are in the SB in a 3/6 game so you have to tighten up(Blinds at $1 and $3). This might be different if it were a 2/4 game with the SB being half of the BB. The button is aggressive and going after the blinds often. You may have to take a stand, but I don't think K8 is the hand to do it with
Old 12-06-2005, 12:53 PM

Folds.

It's tough to say where to draw the line. It's easier if you're the BB.

How does this sound - 3-bet with (1) pairs 88 or higher or (2) AT, KQ and above?
Old 12-06-2005, 12:56 PM

To be honest, you are going to get heads up more than often with Button who is very likely to have you beaten and most of the time in a bad way. His pfr and aggression is low so unless this guy has stolen every single hand I would throw this without thinking about it.

If you play and get called by BB you are beaten in two spots more than often. You only have one dollar invested so your pot odds are not changed very much.

I wait for a better spot to take advantage of BB.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, 48 hands isn't a whole lot to determine just how tight a player is. There's a good chance BB has been card dead and he's actually, I don't know, let's say a 14/7 guy.

I was pretty surprised the other day when a 9/6 player in my database raised KJo in EP. (I think I had about 100 hands on him.) But maybe I shouldn't have been surprised.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Button is 22/4/1.33 through 48 hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't appear that Button's been doing a lot of stealing so far. I'd probably just give him credit for a better hand than K8 here and fold.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, 48 hands isn't a whole lot to determine just how tight a player is. There's a good chance BB has been card dead and he's actually, I don't know, let's say a 14/7 guy.

I was pretty surprised the other day when a 9/6 player in my database raised KJo in EP. (I think I had about 100 hands on him.) But maybe I shouldn't have been surprised.

[/ QUOTE ]

If there is a lesson to be learned again from my lame post it is this:

I am still at the table and so is BB from this hand is now 24/6/0.76/155 hands. Folded blinds to steal numbers are in line.

Side note: when running poorly I tend to get a little tilty about blinds and steal situations.