Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2005, 12:56 AM

Default JJ hand from the stars rebuy with deep stacks

I'm not really too pleased with how I played this, comments? I thought he might be raising really high with a small pair and I just wanted to take a stab at it on the flop. Villain seemed pretty solid but not amazing, didn't do anything too wacky at the table so far. A side question also - If you had position would you reraise PF?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t800 (8 handed) converter

UTG+1 (t22085)
MP1 (t11478)
MP2 (t23443)
CO (t3226)
Button (t24440)
Hero (t37590)
BB (t33131)
UTG (t30762)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t4000</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, Hero calls t3600, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (t7950) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t5000</font>, UTG calls t5000.

Turn: (t17950) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets t10400</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t28350
Old 08-16-2005, 01:35 AM

Default Re: JJ hand from the stars rebuy with deep stacks

There must be something wrong in the converter, or something, becuase that can't be the flop pot size.

But other than that I'm guessing he had AK, so I dont think the average player, or even a lot of very good players will fold if you keep firing (not that they should necessarily). I probably check-fold this flop, and with those stacks I might even consider pushing it in preflop, because the 5x raise is very often a mid pair, depending on the player. Other than those times that I push, I check fold, and let him steal if he wants to.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:58 AM

I don't like JJ on a KQx board. Yeh, villain might have a smaller pair, but it is likely he has a pair or a straight draw.

Leading into the for a 3/5 pot bet is a little unusual. I tend to check to the raiser and sometimes checkraise. Given the size of the raise, in some ways you represented the stronger hand preflop, though. The way this tournament plays, I would probably check/fold this flop.

I assume this is the $10 rebuy. I have found this kind of hand difficult to play at this stage of that tournament. There is deep money and most players seem willing to take you allin in stages whether they hit the flop or not. I find it most profitable to play speculative hands and hope to double up.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:26 PM

Given the deep stack of me and the villain, I didn't want to reraise and play a monster pot OOP with JJ, although I did think he was somewhat weak given his large raise. At this point I was playing it a lot like a cash game and mixing in some MTT play. I probably should have just check folded this hand in hindsight since if he had a mid pair he would fold and his AQ/AK just hit. Who likes a reraise in this spot, given stack sizes, position, and current spot of the tourny?