Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Other Gambling Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2005, 03:49 PM

Default Gus Hanse/Backgammon

I just started to play backgammon, but I think I am getting pretty decent. I can beat GNU in about a 1 to 4 or 3 ratio and was wondering if any of Gus' games were online somewhere, or I could view anything about his player. Seems like after he started playing poker it's impossible to tear through all the crap about his poker game. Thanks...
Old 04-15-2005, 06:34 PM

Default Re: Gus Hanse/Backgammon

I dont think there are any Gus hansen matches on free sites out there. He mainly played private or invitational high stakes matches. Not sure if any of these were recorded, certainly not published.
Bye the way there are BG matches on www.gammoned.com and www.bgsnowie.com and www.bkgm is worth checking out.
Old 04-15-2005, 07:07 PM

Ah. That is a good point. Actually I did find one on a dutch site. I 17 pt. match against some guy, Neil B. I forget his last name. Anyway, thanks for your help and the links. Backgammon is my new addiction! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 04-15-2005, 10:16 PM

Can you post a link to the game?

Are you playing for cash online at all? I've heard that the security protocols on TMG have done a lot to rid the games of cheats. I'm considering putting some money back on the site.

Backgammon rules [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-15-2005, 10:48 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar till:</font><hr />
Can you post a link to the game?

Are you playing for cash online at all? I've heard that the security protocols on TMG have done a lot to rid the games of cheats. I'm considering putting some money back on the site.

Backgammon rules [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

TMG check every game with the computer program snowie, but one can cheat with gnu too or just cheat every fifth move or so. Impossible to detect.
I dont play moneygames there myself. The rake is too high for my taste. 55% wins to break even
Old 04-15-2005, 10:50 PM

I have only been playing backgammon for 2 weeks, so no! Hehehe...I think I am picking it up pretty quickly though. Here is the link. The match is at the bottom of this page. Quite a funny picture of Gus too!

http://www.mamalustra.dk/Spillertruppen/gus.shtml
Old 04-17-2005, 09:09 AM

Gus was one of the very best players when he was active, but he didn't play a lot of tournaments, so you won't find a lot of recorded matches out there. (The one found by another poster in the thread is the only one I'm aware of.)

Gus would sometimes come to tournaments and hang around until the winner was determined, then saunter up after the prize ceremony and challenge him to a few games. With $$ burning a hole in his pocket, the champ would say yes. By the next morning Gus would be doing very well. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-17-2005, 04:08 PM

Dang. This may seem dumb, but are you the real real Robertie? If so, your books are helping me alot so far! Thanks! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-17-2005, 09:39 PM

Robertie as in Bill Robertie? If so, thanks for the great books. Also, thanks for your work on Dan Harrington's new book. The organization and the focus on examples reminded me of your backgammon books.

Also, thanks the scoop on Hansen and Backgammon. I always wondered if he was really a high-stakes player or if that was just WPT neck-talk.
Old 04-17-2005, 09:48 PM

Yeah, now that you mentioned it, the book style are kind of similar. And I second the thanks for the rockin gammon books. It's nice to get some backgammon talk in here. I am addicted now. It's taking over chess as my fave board game. Although I am not quite as good at backgammon as I am at chess. You are also a NM aren't you Mr. Robertie?