Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2005, 01:59 PM

Default playing AK heads up on paired board with flush draw

Party Poker 5/10 Limit Hold 'em 5 players

Villain has recently come to the table and is relatively passive. He occasionally bluffs on the flop, but hasn't gotten out of line on the turn or river. But this read is precarious, as it is only based on a 10 or so hands at this table. Is my bet on the turn standard? I should probably fold to a check raise on the turn against this opponent, but how do you play this hand against an unknown if faced with a check raise on the turn? What if I am bet into on the river; should I call with AK high? Thanks for input!

5 Handed. Villain limps UTG. Folded to Hero on button who raises with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Blinds fold.

Flop:
J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Villan checks. Hero bets. Villan calls.

Turn:
3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Villan checks. Hero bets. Villan calls.

River:
5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Villan checks. Hero checks.
Old 06-03-2005, 02:12 PM

Default Re: playing AK heads up on paired board with flush draw

I like the bet on the Turn...and I like your thoughts about folding to a check-raise on the Turn.

On the River, man, its tough. Will he call with a worse Ace? Will he fold with a pair of 4s or 3s? Is he a guy to plan a check-raise on the River with a flush? A tough decision like this probably means its equal between checking and betting. But I would lean towards betting (with the intention of folding to a check-raise), although I'm willing to be swayed otherwise.
Old 06-03-2005, 02:18 PM

I don't think anyone at this limit will lay down a 3 or 4 on that board if they're calling the flop and turn. Only decision is if he has AQ (not likely), AT-A6 and will call the river if you bet. I don't see this happening all that much given the post so I would check behind as well.
Old 06-03-2005, 03:11 PM

I think its unlikely for them to lay down a 3 or 4 too (but still possible). However, since the opponent hasn't bet or raised at all, I think it reduces the chances he has a pair.
Old 06-03-2005, 07:41 PM

Default RESULTS

villain shows JK and takes pot.