Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2005, 11:46 PM

Default IHC- In position against a LAG

Given Party just crashed, I hope you'll take my entry 15 minutes early.
Rest of table was mostly TAGs, tighter than usual. I had position. My strategy was to isolate by 3-betting.

Here is my hand submission:

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP1 calls.

I'd rather play this heads up against this guy for 3 bets than fold it.

Flop: (7.33 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls.

I doubt he hit the flop. Also, if he had a pair higher than mine, I think he caps pre-flop. I think he 3 bets with an 8 or a 2. I think I'm ahead.

Turn: (5.66 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

I really don't like the stop and go here. So now I believe he has a pair, and I'm behind.

River: (7.66 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 folds.

Great scare card for a bluff-raise. His pair of 8's, or 6's, or other crap that he has can't be good when I raise.

He folds, it works.

Final Pot: 10.66 BB
Old 06-01-2005, 11:52 PM

Default Re: IHC- In position against a LAG

Your river raise was most likely a value raise and not a bluff. I doubt this joker had you beat and laid down an 8 or 6. Regardless of that, well played and nice hand.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:02 AM

This seems like spewing to me. I'm folding to the stop and go on the turn. Let me know if this is too weak-tight, cause if it is, I'm in trouble.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This seems like spewing to me. I'm folding to the stop and go on the turn. Let me know if this is too weak-tight, cause if it is, I'm in trouble.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is too weak-tight against an unknown. I feel pretty strongly that this is too weak-tight against a player with the stats (and assumed play characteristics) described by OP.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This hand has showdown value on this board against this player. Also, if this player had Hero beat here, he would most likely be check-raising. He probably stop-n-goed with something like A7o or QJs.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:09 AM

Okay, after looking at his stats more closely, I'll agree this hand has "showdown value" with this board and this player. But is this really standard against an unknown? I just don't see any way you're not drawing to 2 outs on the turn against a reasonable opponent.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is too weak-tight against an unknown. I feel pretty strongly that this is too weak-tight against a player with the stats (and assumed play characteristics) described by OP.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have folded the turn against an unknown.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:30 AM

The key to that hand was the read.

Nice read. Nice hand.

Well played.

-SWUSC
Old 06-02-2005, 12:37 AM

My comment may be colored by playing a lot of 6-max lately, but a stop n go in this hand looks a lot to me like someone testing whether Hero is playing a made hand versus overcards (after 3-betting pre-flop). There is very little likelihood that this flop and turn hit a typical unknown 3/6 player that raised pre-flop (or 3-bet pre-flop) and I'd not be willing to chuck a weak made hand against this board in this pot to a stop n go without a read -- there is almost no draw (the turn could have given a gut shot or OESD but my view is that most unknown's at 3/6 full are not leading with such a hand HU on the turn) and his bet means, IMHO, a scared PP or a probe on overs. I wouldn't raise, because it is possible he's betting with the intention of 3-betting with an overpair, an 8, or a deuce -- but I wouldn't fold this turn to the stop n go.

Edit: spelling.
Old 06-02-2005, 01:14 AM

Whether or not you would fold the turn against a tag is a bit irrelevent, as you shold never be in this situation against a tag ( betting with 55). You would always have a higher pp or overcards, which drasticly changes things.

If you somehow found yourself in this situation against an unkown, a fold would probably be correct, although he could easily put you on overcards (AK or AQs) and be trying to bluff you off the best hand. If you play like this all the time (folding) this is very exploitable. As with all exploitable plays, its very read dependent.