Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2005, 02:44 AM

Default GSIH Question

Ok on the preflop chart it says Against a Raise and a Reraise, raise with ( dont have book here at work so guessing as close as I recall )AA,KK,QQ and AK. My question is this...
If I raise with those and am reraised once again do I keep going? In other words, do you cap it with these hands?
Old 05-24-2005, 02:59 AM

Default Re: GSIH Question

With those hands, yes. However, if you're holding any other hand and get reraised, it's probably best to just call.
Old 05-24-2005, 03:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
With those hands, yes. However, if you're holding any other hand and get reraised, it's probably best to just call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I personally am in favor of stopping at three bets with a huge hand like AA or KK most of the time (assuming that there isn't an additional person behind you and in front of the re-raiser to whom you can charge two more bets), since you gain very little by four-betting it heads-up IMHO (there's within epsilon of zero chance he'll fold) relative to what you gain in deception by keeping it three (many players, esp. at the level you will be playing at while reading GSIH, will rule out AA or KK since why on earth would he not jam the pedal to the metal if he had aces or kings?)

Of course, that's just my opinion - I could be wrong.

*edit: and to the OP, if you are facing a raise and a re-raise preflop and you then raise with your AA, KK, QQ or AK, you will have already capped it. The response I made to the parent post (and his response to your post) were assuming that it was three bets to you and you have the option of simply calling or capping it.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:52 AM

i realize that most books say to cap with AA,KK,QQ,A-K. some even say to reraise with TT. here is my humble opinion although probably wrong. i will cap AA and KK. i will not voluntarily 3-bet or cap QQ or A-K. if another bettor(s) 3-bet or cap then i go along for the ride with QQ and A-K.

my reasoning is this: if you hold QQ preflop capped, you may be dominated by the AA and KK. if a A or K flops (about a third of time, now what?) against several oppenents who bet/raise the flop, i think a muck is in order. against one player, i think check and call is the play.

my logic may be alittle weak/tight but i have been playing/studying NL. when your whole stack is at risk, QQ and AK dont look so good. there are better oppertunities to do battle.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:35 PM

Against a Raise and Reraise means that it is 3 bets to you. In most cardrooms, your raise would be a cap already.

In Las Vegas, one more raise is allowed, but if you 4-bet and someone 5-bets you, that is again a cap, and you can't reraise.

So basically, this is a non-issue. If you are heads-up without a cap (and a beginner) I'd suggest you play this way:

Stop at 4 bets with AK or QQ
Stop at 5 bets with KK
Don't stop with AA

Again, this is for beginners and ignores the value of stopping early with AA for deception.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
my logic may be alittle weak/tight but i have been playing/studying NL. when your whole stack is at risk, QQ and AK dont look so good. there are better oppertunities to do battle.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are right, it's rarely right to push all-in after several raises with QQ in a NL cash game.

But strategy varies wildly between NL and limit, so don't apply too much from one to the other. Capping QQ is right against all but the tightest 3-bettors in limit, and when it isn't right then calling is just as atrocious and you should fold.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:18 PM

I think it really depends on the table. I play micros and at some tables there is a lot of nutso capping, in which case I will definitely cap with AA/KK since it's basically a value bet at that point -- I don't expect anyone to fold to the cap and with lots of capping already happening it doesn't really tip my hand.

At a tighter table I might be more inclined to stop when it's three-bet preflop, but it seems that more often than not (again, this is at the micros) no one is paying too much attention to my betting patterns, etc. and that my capping isn't going to drive any one else out; after all, they've already married themselves to their QTo or Kxs.

Sidebar: the number of people who will call two (and sometimes three) cold pre-flop with trash makes me super-duper happy!
Old 05-24-2005, 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Against a Raise and Reraise means that it is 3 bets to you. In most cardrooms, your raise would be a cap already.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good Point Ed and thanx for the reply. I hadn't considered that reraising there was capping it already. I play on the party skins so it's a 4 bettor.( So much to remember with a 20 second timer beeping, I'm sure there's a lot I don't yet consider when under pressure to decide )

Can't get up the courage to play at a local cardroom as the only one I have is Ceasars Indiana and the lowest stakes are 3/6. I'd go for 2/4 but 3/6 just scares me off for a while. Just too expensive to learn on so internet gamblings gonna be the way for a while for me.